• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED EIED55HIW0 E71 Outlet Control Thermistor unsolvable

Horatius Cocles

Premium Member
Model Number
EIED55HIW0
Brand
Electrolux
Receiving error code E71, 'outlet control thermistor or wiring defective'. Have checked thermistor, was in range between 4.9K Ohm and 6.2K Ohm, checked wire leading from thermistor to control board, also in range; checked control board itself - also in range at 5.66K Ohm.

Checked continuity of wire (disconnected from thermistor and control board), no resistance found in each individual wire, and infinite resistance found between the two wires. Separated wire from loom and retested to eliminate ground issue with no joy.

Replaced thermistor and control board with no change. Inspected outlet control thermistor wires, found no kinks, breaks, etc. Reset error code after each attempted repair. Dryer will run for a few seconds, then shut off with error code E71. When in diagnostic mode, mode '0' testing lights runs ok, then moving dial clockwise to position '1' (clockwise motor test) changes display to E71, and motor does not run.

All other positions in diagnostic mode show E71 (and test does not run) except history, which logs the last 5 errors, and displays all 5 as E71 (1E71, 2E71, etc.). Really at a loss right now - cannot figure out what else would be causing this error besides the outlet control thermistor. Even more odd is that this all started when the belt broke.

Replaced belt and received first E71 error. Inspected all wires for proper attachment including grounds, nothing appears out of place. Ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Lets try a factory reset then.

FACTORY RESET
1. Press and hold the “Temperature” and “Dryness” buttons simultaneously for 6 seconds.

If that doesn't work try to clear the error code:

To clear the error code (s): Press and hold the far left key under the display and “cancel” buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds.

Let us know what happens.

Jake

Horatius Cocles

Premium Member
The factory reset cleared the presets my wife had under 'My favorites', but had no effect on the E71 code showing up when attempting to start the dryer on any of the cycles. Clearing the error code, which is done while in diagnostic mode, produces an audible 'beep', shuts down the light from the display while displaying the number '15', then turns on the display to show information on the cycle you've selected.

Since diagnostic mode is entered from the far left selector position of 'bulky', 56 minutes are displayed after the 'welcome' message in the display. Oddly enough, '15' is also displayed when entering the diagnostic mode if you don't let go of the 'cancel' and 'my favorites' buttons. Not sure there is any significance there - nothing is mentioned in the tech manual.

At any rate, neither option results in anything other than another 'E71' error code. When performing these tests, the dryer did not turn on for a second first as it had (at times) previously - not sure why there was a change or if I'm simply not performing the same steps every time to enable a temporary (1 second) start.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Which control board did you replace? you have a couple control boards in this model.

Here's the parts diagram: Parts for Electrolux EIED55HIW0

#26 control board inside the dryer?

Or the control panel control board?

Jake

Horatius Cocles

Premium Member
I replaced the main control board located on the bracket above the drum. With the exception of the wiring (see testing in #1 post above), the only component I have not replaced is the user interface control board (control panel control board). Can't imagine how this would be causing the error, so I've been hesitant to 'guess again' on the cause and replace it. I've finished testing all other electrical components (thermostats, burner element, etc.) and everything was showing appropriate continuity. Just dumbfounded.

Horatius Cocles

Premium Member
Problem solved. In reviewing the disassembly video, I noted that the receiver on the "Electronic Control Board" had 4 pickups for the 4 pickups on the outlet/inlet control thermister plug. However, mine has 5 in this location. I then plugged the outlet/inlet thermister plug into a 4-pickup position on the ECB and everything is as it should be. Human error due to watching a video listed as working for my dryer, but apparently there was a minor design change that got me. I believe "my bad" is the appropriate euphemism at this point.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad you found out the problem, that will help others as well.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake