FIXED EIFLS60LSS0 Electrolux Washer - How to drain when the door is locked (thus front assembly won't come off)?

kkpost

Premium Member
Model Number
EIFLS60LSS0
Brand
Electrolux
Hello!

Our Electrolux front loader is suffering and so are we. :cry: I'll outline the problems below, but we've reached the point where the water won't drain and the door is locked because the water level is above the door level. We were prepared to manually drain it, but we can't seem to get the front cover off the washer with the door on. When we were doing some troubleshooting last weekend, we needed to take the door off to access the drain pump, etc. Is there a way around this? Are we missing something?

The recent history:
*About two weeks ago, we noticed the loads looked especially sudsy while running.
*One week ago, we thought the washer wasn't completely draining after each load. It was, but it would slowly trickle in clean water after the load had finished. Sometimes we'd get the E-13 error.
*Last weekend we took it apart and didn't find any blockages.
*After we ran a load, when the tank slowly started to fill again, we unplugged the machine. The water continued to come in.
*We ran small loads and everything was fine...until I washed the towels today. With 20 minutes left, when it was "sensing," it would basically stop and not drain. We tried running it on spin only several times. We've disconnected and reconnected the power, but nothing because the water level is slightly over the door opening. At times, we got the E-21 or E-23 error codes.

Is there anything we can do before calling in someone and getting on their waiting list?

I should add that our washer and dryer are in a built-in cabinet and pulling out a heavy washer partially filled with water may have tested our marriage. :rolleyes: The next washer will have some sort of front access spot, but that was of no comfort to my husband.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Error Code E13 is water in the air dome and E21 is water not pumping out.

It sounds like you either have a clog in your drain pump, or your drain pump has gone bad.

When you click the link to the drain pump below you will see a video on how to access it. I know you have a lot of water in the tub, a WET/DRY VAC would help you drain it through the front door. Then you will have some water that comes out the rubber hoses that attach to your drain pump, have some BIG OLD TOWELS ready when you remove those hoses.

Here's the drain pump for your model(Video Included):
137240800 Pump-Water

Jake

kkpost

Premium Member
We're assuming it's the drain pump, but because the front door is locked and won't release, we can't start the water removal process to begin the repair. We're got the towels and vac ready, if we could only force the door to unlatch.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Unfortunately they don't tell you how to release the door latch if its locked and won't open, that's weird, Whirlpool tells you how to open the door if its locked and won't unlock.

I don't know what else to suggest to get the door unlocked on this model except to force it open, then you'd also need to buy a new lock latch assembly.

Here's the door lock switch assembly for your model:
134629900 Door Lock

Jake

kkpost

Premium Member
We got the door to open!

For anyone facing this issue: if you feel the lock mechanism by reaching down from the top of the machine (reminder: we were able to get the top open but not the front due to the water level), there is a latch under the mechanism that released the door. Huzzah! A little spilled out, but we were able to drain from the door.

The new drain pump has been ordered and should arrive on Tuesday.

Thank you, Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad you got the door open. (y)

Let us know how it goes after you replace the drain pump.

Jake

kkpost

Premium Member
Wrapping up the story -

We replaced both the drain pump and the water valve. We decided to replace the water valve because the tank was filling with clean water even when the power the disconnected. The decision to replace both means we'll never know if it was one or the other piece causing the problem, but the washing machine is working normally again.

One tip that may only apply to people like me: in the excitement to get laundry rolling again, don't throw in a Tide Pod to an HE machine because you want to get the scent out of the musty towels that had been trapped in the washer for days. (Our HE detergent is unscented, while the Pods have a scent.) The amount of suds caused the machine to lock up again. Once the suds went down, it released and I cleaned out the tank before trying again with our regular detergent. I thought I'd broken the machine again. Lesson learned!

Our DIY fix would not have been possible without this site! Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear your back in business, good Tip too about the Tide Pod.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake