• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Electrolux EI32AR80QSC - Refrigerator temperature fluctuate from 22 - 49 degrees

ahurt

Premium Member
Model Number
EI32AR80QSC
Brand
Electrolux
Hello, I have an Electrolux EI32AR80QSC. The refrigerator temperature fluctuates from 22 - 49 degrees causing food to either be frozen or too warm where the alarm goes off. I have replaced the Thermistor, Electronic Control, and the Board. Can you help me troubleshoot further? Attached is a graph that shows the actual temperature swings throughout the day.

Attachments

• IMG_7620.pdf
    12.9 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, well its either a bad thermistor or a bad control board, if you already replaced both, then you got a defective part.

You will need to manually ohm test the thermistor.

At room temperature it should measure 5,000-6,000 ohms. At 32*F somewhere around 15,000-16,000 ohms.

Put it in a glass of ice water and wait 5 minutes before ohm testing it, then tell us what it reads.

Here's the thermistor for your model:
Thermistor 297110400

Jake

ahurt

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. Appreciate the guidance and will take those measurements.
Another person told me this. What do you think?
“The fans should be running at the same time the compressor is running, you should hear them when they are on. If they are coming on you will need to check the evaporator coils. See if those are frosting over or if there is nothing on the coils when the compressor is running. When the compressor is running you should have a light, even layer of frost on those coils. If there is excessive frost on there then you have a defrost issue. If there is frost on part of the coils and the rest is clear, then that could indicate a sealed system failure which will require an HVAC certified technician to repair it.”

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the fan in the refrigerator running at all? I just assumed it was since you didn't mention it wasn't.

Yes, the fan in the refrigerator should be running at all times while the compressor is running.

Jake

ahurt

Premium Member
I have never seen / heard the compressor running without the fan running. But - it could happen throughout the day. I will keep an eye out on this. That may explain why the "high" temperature swings, but what about the low temperature when the refrigerator runs at 23 degrees?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That may explain why the "high" temperature swings, but what about the low temperature when the refrigerator runs at 23 degrees?
That's exactly what I was wondering too, unless that fan is working intermittently, which even at that should not make it go all the way to 23 degrees, you see what I mean?

That's why its good to manually ohm test that thermistor like I mentioned above.:)

Jake

ahurt

Premium Member
Jake - haven't forgotten you. I have ordered a new Thermistor. I am unsure if I can test the one that is in my fridge as you can't remove it without cutting it out? This video shows how you replace the thermistor in my refrigerator.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, cutting it out, then using 2 wires nuts to splice it back in place, no harm in doing that.:)

Jake

ahurt

Premium Member
Ok - so I received the new thermistor at room temperature is 9,000 and in ice water at 30,000 ohms. That is very different than what you refer to above?

ahurt

Premium Member
The Technician just discovered that the condenser fan is not working. So we will replace that next and see what ends up happening.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok - so I received the new thermistor at room temperature is 9,000 and in ice water at 30,000 ohms. That is very different than what you refer to above?
That's very strange, what did the original one read?

The Technician just discovered that the condenser fan is not working. So we will replace that next and see what ends up happening.
Bingo! My bad, I forgot to ask you if the condenser fan was running. That should fix it, fingers crossed. 🤞

Here's the condenser fan motor for your model:
297279500 Condenser Fan Motor

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

ahurt

Premium Member
Thanks for all of the help. Won’t get the new fan installed until September 2. Will let you know if that is it!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, yes keep us posted.

Jake

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Here is nice chart for this thermistor.

Attachments

• 297110400 Thermistor in K- Ohms vs Temperature.pdf
    657.6 KB · Views: 22

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks bigbuck, wow I was way off, sorry about that. I must of been going by another brand by accident.

Here's the thermistor chart for future reference that bigbuck posted.

Screenshot 2021-08-20 09.02.56.png

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, then that new condenser fan motor should fix it.

Keep us posted.:)

Jake

ahurt

Premium Member
Ok - the condenser fan was replaced and now works. I will monitor the temp for the next couple of days. While they were here, noticed that the switch that turns on and off the lights was not turning off lights and at other times not turning on the lights.

When the lights would not go off, it would make the door ajar alarm go off because it thought the door was open. Checked the power to the switch and it was only 81 volts vs 120 volts. Checked the power coming out of the Electronic Control panel and it was also 81 volts. Checked the power going into the Electronic Control panel and it was 119 volts.

So looks like the power from the Electronic Control panel to the door switch is the problem. I have already replaced the Electronic Control panel once, but will replace it again and see if we get 120 coming out to the switch.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member