• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Electrolux EW23BC71IS0 warm refrigerator; cold freezer

NjM

Premium Member
Model Number
EW23BC71IS0
Brand
Electrolux
While I wait on a new defrost thermostat, I figured I would make sure I've got all my troubleshooting bases covered. I think its starting to sound more like a control board but here goes...

I got a high temp alarm on the refrigerator portion of my fridge. The freezer was fine though. Throughout troubleshooting though, the freezer was not able to maintain 0*F.
Unplugging the unit for 5-minutes and factory defaulting it one night, did allow it to get to 0*F in the freezer and maintain 37*F in the fridge but this lasted at most 24-36 hours so...
  1. Took the freezer apart and the coils/components were frosted over evenly.
  2. Evap fan doesn't spin as freely as the YouTube videos I watched but its definitely moving air no problem.
  3. I tried to manually turn on the heater through the diagnostics but never felt any warmth. It could have been that it was frosted up that bad and I didn't give it enough time? I did see some moisture on the heater tube, as though it was working.
  4. I manually defrosted everything enough to checked for continuity:
    1. defrost thermostat; passed
    2. defrost heater (the defrost thermostat plugs into this); passed.
  5. There was nothing else to check in this compartment so I continued to defrost the unit.
  6. I took the defrost thermostat out, which is very warm at this point and tested it for continuity; failed (obviously)
  7. I put the defrost thermostat into a cold cup of ice water for well over 5-minutes and it still failed. I didn't check the temp of the ice water though.
  8. Everything works great after manually defrosting everything. I wonder how long this will last?
→ What else is there to troubleshoot? Any other advice? Is my defrost thermostat finicky or does this sound like a control board issue?

I read a couple of other threads:

NjM

Premium Member
I've since then put everything back together. When it frosts over again though, I'll be sure to check it. Assuming it and the heater check out fine again, the only other thing to replace is the main board? If so, is this the correct one (taken from the previously mentioned thread) 5303918507 Board-Switch?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If so, is this the correct one
This one is:
frigidaire-board-switch-241891601-ap4374724_01_l.jpg