• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Electrolux EW23BC71IS6 ice maker mold issues

bland328

Premium Member
Model Number
EW23BC71IS6
Brand
Electrolux
tl;dr: What does it mean when both tests 51C (Th1 mold thermistor test) and 54C (mold heater test) are failing with code "SH", both with and without the mold wiring harness plugged in?

I've had luck fixing the obnoxious ice maker in my Electrolux EW23BC71IS6 (software version 80) a couple times in the past, when the problem was with the Th3 thermistor (test 52C failing).

Now I have a new problem, and I'm hoping someone has some insight.

Here's what I'm seeing:

1. The mold moves to the right, fills, moves to the left, freezes, then stays there.
  2. All tests pass, except for 51C (Th1 mold thermistor test) and 54C (mold heater test), which both display a code of "SH".
  3. With the mold wiring harness (green and white wiring) unplugged, 51C and 54C both still report "SH".
Strangely, the "Fresh Food Icemaker Diagnostic" chart I'm using (page 8-3 of some document I got long ago) doesn't list "SH" as a potential code, but I assume it means "shorted."

So, I was hoping/expecting that unplugging the mold wiring harness would change the result of test 51C (Th1 mold thermistor) to either "OP" (open) or "Er" (error).

And if unplugging the mold had changed either of those test results, I had planned to either replace the mold, or possibly rewire the current mold per this fantastic 2013 post by @Larrymc.

But, since it didn't change the test results, I'm concerned it might be a wiring or control board issue elsewhere, which leaves me really unexcited about sinking more money or time into this refrigerator.

Any thoughts on what I might try? Thanks!

bland328

Premium Member
Thanks very much for that, @rickgburton!

One bit of confusion, though:

I understand that a shorted mold needs to be replaced.

However, what I don't understand--and what the flowchart doesn't appear to consider--is what it means that I get a "shorted" error code even with the mold disconnected.

It's unintuitive to me that a new ice mold is going to open a circuit that's reported as shorted even with the ice mold wiring disconnected.

I'm hoping that either you or someone else might be able to comment on this before I drop $170 on a new ice mold.

Thanks very much!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Over the years I've noticed some service manuals sometimes contain mistakes. I'm not saying that one has a mistake in it, I'm just saying look for a way to confirm what the manual is saying. With the mold disconnected you would think it would show as open so follow the flow chart as if it was open. If either the harness or heater is out of range you end up back at the "replace mold".