• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Electrolux Icon Freezer only temp failing

zooey

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Electrolux
HI There,
my side by side electrolux has a temperature failure and disconnect on the freezer side. Temperature sensor shows -20oC but it's above freezing. An hour later it shows -4oC. So there are two problems, both sensing and maintaining freezing temps. About 1 year ago, I naively defrosted the ice maker with some warm water, which appeared to accidentally fry the temperature sensor. Sensor showed warmer readings but freezer was fine and items frozen. Last week, sensor was off, but also items were no longer freezing. Fridge side is working perfectly. Do these fridges have two compressors? Thanks for any help, Zooey.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

That model number doesn't pull up as good.

Click here: Appliance Parts at RepairClinic. 125 Brands. 365 Day Returns. Then you will see a link that says: What is a model number, and where do I find it?.

Ok, since I don't know Celcius I will convert it.

-20 degrees C is -4 degrees F.

-40 degrees C is -40 degrees F.

Sounds like a thermistor or thermostat problem in the freezer.

Do these fridges have two compressors?
I won't know until I get a good model number.:)

Jake

zooey

Premium Member
Hi Jake

Thanks. Unfortunately the serial number is worn off. But it’s the side by side Electrolux Icon.
It starts with E23....
Since the first post, the fridge slide has warmed a few degrees 8oc 46F instead of typical 5oC or 41F

Would thermistor/thermostat impact both sides?

Thanks
Z

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It would be extremely rare for both thermostats or thermistors to go out at the same time, unless you had a lightning strike hit your house.

Look for frost build-up on the back panel inside the freezer.

Jake

zooey

Premium Member
Thanks again Jake. Maybe some snow north of the border but no lightning recently. A back panel with vents lines the back wall, so there may be frost behind the panel but almost no frost was/is visible. A five hour defrost, led to no pooling, only a few drips from the icemaker. the temp partially recovered from the defrost but remains above freezing and above normal temps on the fridge side. it's about 14 years old, is this early retirement? thanks, Z(ed)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, from what you just said its time to go refrigerator shopping. Seems like you have a sealed system problem, because the evaporator coil behind the back panel in the freezer should have a thin layer of frost on it from top to bottom.

And a 5 hour defrost producing no water pooling, indicates so.

Jake

zooey

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. Before she’s out to pasture, is there value in taking off the back panel on the exterior back of the fridge.
Do some have interior pans to collect defrost run off?
Damn fridge side is holding appropriate 5/41F. Freezer has been empty save for an unfrozen liquid test bottle, consistent with its 1C/34F current sensor reading. Best Z

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I can't answer that question, because I have no model number to see or not.:)

Jake