• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Electrolux Refrigerator EI23BC30KS3 Water Filter Freezing Up (No Ice)

Unirocket

Premium Member
Model Number
EI23BC30KS3
Brand
Electrolux
Hi there - I have a fridge that keeps freezing up the water filter which prevents ice production.
Steps I’ve taken prior:
1. Replaced the water inlet valve to ensure it’s not leaking
2. Replaced the ice maker unit to ensure that the electronics/motor function properly
3. Adjusted the fridge temp up from 35 > 38 > 40
4. Entered service mode on the fridge and verified all thermistors are reading correct temps

Despite all of this, the lines are still freezing up on fridge side. One filter actually completely froze and cracked. I’m at a loss and am ready to toss this fridge if I can’t figure this out. Please assist - thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
How often do you use the water dispenser? Does the water dispenser get good water flow to your glass?

Do you have a refrigerator thermometer inside to tell you the real time temperature?

Nothing else is freezing in the refrigerator section?

Jake

Unirocket

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply.

No water dispenser in this model. Everything else in the fridge is fine and not freezing. I used an infrared thermometer and verified that everything else in the fridge is 40 degrees as expected.

There’s an inlet from the freezer near the water filter on this model and that’s where the colder air (17-25 degrees) is coming in. I tested the damper (opening and closing as expected), and the evaporator fan motor (turning on and off as expected).

Good water flow to/from the filter when it’s not frozen.

About to resort to some duct tape to cover the vent that’s blowing the cold air on the supply lines, but that can’t be how the manufacturer intended this to work.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is very odd, but I did find another person back in 2013 that said the same thing:

I really don't know why its doing that, sorry.

Jake

a2t

Premium Member
I had block of ice on the backside of mine where water lines go in. Its because the back wall isnt insulated right and rusts out.

I took some window seal foam strips from home depot and taped those against outside of back wall of fridge and placed the water lines over those. Water lines havent frozen since. It was freezing on outside back of fridge not inside. Crazy defect. Apparently very common

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.