• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Electrolux Washer EIFLS60JMB0 Won't Drain w/Clothes In Tub

Gramps1967

Premium Member
Model Number
EIFLS60JMB0
Brand
Electrolux
Good morning,

I'm having trouble with my Electrolux washer draining. The machine will run and wash right up to the point where it's supposed to drain and stop. Here's the things I've done and noticed:

1. It will run a full cycle with nothing in the drum, including draining completely.
2. I've intermittently had error code 32 (which I cleared) and now am getting consistent error codes E-21
3. I've pulled the machine apart and ensured that the coin trap is clear. There was a dime and some lint in the trap but not enough to restrict flow to the pump.
4. I've run the machine with nothing in it and watched the flow out of the discharge pipe into the drain and it's very strong and seems unrestricted. The tub drains completely with no clothes in the basket.
5. I've performed a "factory reset" on the machine after taking power off of it for 10 or longer seconds and the code will reappear when I try to run a load of clothes.
6. The machine will give the code even with a half load of clothes in the drum.

Any help appreciated. My kids are home from college and the avalanche of dirty clothes is going to bury me if I don't get this fixed.

V/R
Gramps

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
4. I've run the machine with nothing in it and watched the flow out of the discharge pipe into the drain and it's very strong and seems unrestricted. The tub drains completely with no clothes in the basket.
Ok, with clothes in it does it at least try to drain? You do hear any sound at all when it should be draining?

E21=Water not pumping out fast enough, Refer to TEST 3.

TEST 3:
Step 1. Check the drain hose for restrictions.
If Restriction--->Correct problem.
No restriction. Go to step (2).

Step 2. Start the washer and check for 120 VAC at the drain pump.
If 0 Volts--->Check the wiring. If wiring good, replace the main control board.
If 120 Volts--->Remove the pump and check for blockage. If blocked, remove the restriction, if not, replace the pump.

Also I just located a very similar thread that was doing this also:
Read posts 10, 11, and 12 to see what they did to fix it, it seems there is a white filter in that black rubber accordion hose that connects to the drain pump, take that hose completely off and get access to that filter and clear it out.:)

Jake

Gramps1967

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I previously read the posts you reference above and this is somehow different.....I'm not sure why, but it at least seems to be. With clothes in it the tub the machine tries to drain because I can hear the pump running but nothing is coming out of the discharge hose. The pump ran for a long time before finally quitting and there was four or so inches of water in the tub. As soon as I pulled the soaking wet clothes out of the drum and shut the door the water begins to drain....very quickly. I watched the discharge line for the "force of the water" and it was coming out at full strength so I know the pump is working.
As it relates to "Test 3" I have alread followed the steps outlined in the sequence. I know the grey corrugated discharge hose isn't blocked because there is water gushing out of it when the pump runs without clothes in the tub. I have also taken the black hose off of the bottom of the tub and removed the white coin trap to check for blockage. I found very little in the trap and replaced everything as it was. The bottom line is that I don't think the line is blocked anywhere and I believe the pump is ok because it pumps at full force with no clothes in the tub.

My only other thought at this point is that the pressure switch may be bad. I'm not sure if a bad pressue switch would cause this to happen but I already have the switch out of the machine and have checked for continuity between the hose where it connects to the pressure switch and the bottom of the chamber. I blew in the hose and met no resistence that would indicate a blockage.

I continue to by mystified. Your continued thoughts appreciated.

V/R
Gramps

Gramps1967

Premium Member
Additionally.....I just finished performing a factory reset on the machine and then running the installation test. The install test passed with no codes or problems. Very peculiar. I'm going to try running a load now and see what happens.

Gramps1967

Premium Member
Ok....so.....I just went to run the load after the factory reset and installation test and opened the door and low and behold there is about 4 inches of water in the drum. So....even though is says it passed the factory test there's about 3 or 4 inches of water in the tub. I then rotated the knob to select a "Normal" load of wash and then hit the "Start" button. The pump immediately started and pumped all of the water out in a matter of 8-10 seconds completely draining the tub. So....I know the pump is working. I just have no idea of what else it might be except a pressure sensor or some other piece of the puzzle I am unaware of.

I'll be interested in the experts on this!
Thanks in advance.
V/R
Gramps

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Check your red rubber flapper on the drain pump.

Look at post #15 here:
Interesting development... On a whim I decided to take the washer apart and look at the drain pump again. All was hooked up correct.

On a whim, I wondered if maybe that red rubber flap on the output side of the pump was getting hung up and making the pump air lock or whatever its been doing where its not moving water. Remember, I said if I sucked on the drain hose I could get water to move again properly... Anyway, I just took the damned rubber flapper check valve thingy off for a test load. I loaded a pretty heavy load and the cycle went perfectly flawless. GO FIGURE. After months of this... A rubber flap.

So, my question... Is there a downside to running the machine without the rubber flapper/check valve thingy?
Jake

Gramps1967

Premium Member
Jake,

I took the pump discharge hose off of the to inspect the little red rubber flapper/check valve and it seems like its in good shape and wasn't getting hung up by anything. I looked down and inside the discharge part of the pump at it also seems like its in good shape.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Why don't you go ahead and remove that red flapper and then do a load and see if you still have water in the tub.

Jake

Gramps1967

Premium Member
So......

Today I replaced the pressure switch which sits on the top of the washing machine frame just under the top cover. After replacing the switch (with the power off) I perfromed a factory reset and then went through the installation cycle in the original users guide. The installation cycle completed with no codes and was successful but when I looked in the drum there was four inches of hot water sitting in the tub. I swore out loud and thought for just a second. I then hit the "cancel" button and rotated the knob to the "normal" wash position and hit the "start" button. The water in the tub immediately began to drain quickly and emptied in preparation for the start of the "normal" wash cycle. When the tub emptied I pressed the "cancel" button to stop the cycle because there was no clothes in the tub. I then remembered a video posted on line that said after installing a new pressure switch to pour two litres of water into the soap dispensing tray and let the water flow down into the drum .

I'm not sure why or what pouring 2 litres of water into the soap dispensing tray does but it seemed to work. After I poured the water in through the tray I rotated the knob to "spin/rinse" and the drum emptied and I cancelled the cycle. I then threw a load of clothes into the machine, poured some soap into the dispenser for both normal and prewash and selected the "normal" cycle with a "prewash" option. The machine ran the entire cycle, spun and emptied normally. I've done five loads since and the machine works as it's supposed to. I'm guessing the pressure switch was bad and somehow the switch needs to be calibrated on installation by pouring water into the soap dispensing tray.....or it could just be a coincidence and I got lucky.

In any event I sincerely appreciate the help and feedback from the forum and hope all of you have a Merry Christmas. If anyone has any questions or follow up on the above I'll check back in a few days.

V/F
Gramps

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I then remembered a video posted on line that said after installing a new pressure switch to pour two litres of water into the soap dispensing tray and let the water flow down into the drum .
I'm never heard of that before because the fill water will automatically go through the detergent dispensing tray when you start a new cycle.

Also when you replace that pressure switch NO WATER should be in the tub at all, it needs to be completely dry, in fact I blow through the pressure switch hose to make sure before I install the pressure hose on the pressure switch.:)

But if doing it that way worked, then that's fine too.:)

Here's the pressure switch for your model in case others need it too:
Pressure Switch 134762010

Video Included in part link.

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Gramps1967

Premium Member
Thanks Jake,

Machine continues to run as it's supposed to as we catch up on three days without a washer and college kids who seem to think laundy simply does itself.

Merry Christmas.
Gramps

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Gramps. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Merry Christmas!

Jake

Gramps1967

Premium Member
Well......I'm not quite back where I started but I'm struggling.

The machine will hang up when I do a load of heavy towels or bed sheets. The cycle effectively stops at the rinse and spin cycle and I'm left with a tub full of water and wet sheets or towels. I took the machine apart again and made sure that the water was out of the machine. I then removed the small black hose from the bottom of the pressure switch and blew in it to make sure there was no residual water in the hose which might be affecting the pressure switch somehow. I also removed the little red flapper from the outflow of the pump like some of the other threads have suggested.
The machine will run for a few days and then hang up with an E21 or E32 code (E21 being far more common). I've run the factory reset and the install test and had them go ok but the machine will still hang up at the end of the wash cycle and not empty the drum. One thing I did do that I've found helpful but not sustainable is to pull the grey corrugated hose out of the drain pipe and blow back into it until I hear bubbles coming up from inside the washer tub through the standing water. I then replace the hose in the discharge pipe and run the rinse and spin cycle and the machine will work. Somehow there's a vaccum or something being created in the machine that is causing it to hang up. Any ideas welcome. And appreciated.

V/R
Gramps

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Gramps,

E21=Water not pumping out fast enough, Refer to TEST 3.

TEST 3:
Step 1. Check the drain hose for restrictions.
If Restriction--->Correct problem.
No restriction. Go to step (2).

Step 2. Start the washer and check for 120 VAC at the drain pump.
If 0 Volts--->Check the wiring. If wiring good, replace the main control board.
If 120 Volts--->Remove the pump and check for blockage. If blocked, remove the restriction, if not, replace the pump.

Also I just located a very similar thread that was doing this also:
Read posts 10, 11, and 12 to see what they did to fix it, it seems there is a white filter in that black rubber accordion hose that connects to the drain pump, take that hose completely off and get access to that filter and clear it out.:)

If after you clear it out and your still getting E21 then order and replace the drain pump.

Here's the drain pump for your model you can order(Video Included):
137240800 Pump-Water

Jake

Gramps1967

Premium Member
I just cannot figure this out.

The machine works just fine sometimes. From start to finish with no codes or anything. Then...out of the blue it'll give me either an E32 or E21 error code. All I have to do to get the machine to work is pull the drain hose from the dischage pipe and blow back through it until I hear bubbles in the tub. Then replace the hose in the pipe and start a new cycle and the machine works fine. Is it possible for the pump to be intermittent? And...is it possible that there's something inside the pump itself that's stopping it from time to time. I do not understand why blowing back through the discharge hose fixes it. I don't think it's the control board because many of the cycles work just fine.

I'm exasperated on this one and struggling.....Thanks!

V/R
Gramps

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Gramps, I would need to come out to your house to see what's going on.

So its best to contact Electrolux to come out to see what's going on.

Jake

59Ranchero

Premium Member
My wife's electrolux was doing the same thing, intermittently, took it apart, slight stuff in the white basket, cleaned out, blew out the drain hose, hooked it up same thing intermittently. Took back apart and replaced the drain pump. Seemed to work fine for a couple of days and back again, not draining, E21 code. Pull the drain hose out of the wall as much as you can. If it's too deep in the wall, it creates backpressure on the draining and it triggers an error code. That fixed our problem as I had about 12 inches of drain hose shoved down into the wall.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I just saw your post @59Ranchero about what you just did that fixed your E21 error code, I was just about to post that to Gramps:
Pull the drain hose out of the wall as much as you can. If it's too deep in the wall, it creates back pressure on the draining and it triggers an error code. That fixed our problem as I had about 12 inches of drain hose shoved down into the wall.
I hope that will fix Gramps washer too.:)

That's for posting that for Gramps.:)

Jake