Elite 796.31512212 top-load has UE code

Matt Fisher

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Kenmore 796 top-load washer (made by LG?) keeps coming up with UE code flashing on the display.

As I understand it, that means Unbalanced load. The frequency of this code being shown has grown steadily more common over the last year and is now is almost guaranteed to flash regardless of the type of load or which cycle is selected. Sometimes it will stop the machine, other times it will continue functioning, but usually it will keep resetting the timer and starting the cycle partially over- not good for water or electricity conservation- plus it could take 4 hours for a complete wash/rinse/spin cycle to finish.

If I push the pause/start button whenever it UE shows up, the spin cycle can usually complete itself, but that pretty much requires me coming back to the machine every three to four minutes.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Matt Fisher

Premium Member
Yes sir.
Just to be certain, I went threw a dishtowel in there and set it on Express Wash. Within 10 minutes it flashed between uE and the time remaining, though it still was washing. I seem to recall it being a solid UE (all uppercase) when it stops washing altogether. This usually happens when it really is off balance, like a single pillow type load.

Although this link is for front load, perhaps it uses the same error codes?
Kenmore 796 Model Front-Load Washer Error Codes | Sears PartsDirect

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
OK, as usual LG service information is less than helpful. I did find the error code UE and all it said was the load is off balance:
Snapshot_1.jpeg

Try This: If the rear legs are self leveling, screw the front legs in all the way then lean the machine forward and set back down and if needed adjust R or L front leg. If the rear legs are not self leveling, screw all four in as far as they will go then adjust only the ones needed.

Remove the rear access panel and check the three struts for anything obvious.

Matt Fisher

Premium Member
I adjusted the 4 legs until a marble wouldn't roll any particular direction when placed on the lid. Eyeballing the drum inside doesn't suggest it's leaning any particular direction. It wasn't off by much, just a tad low to the left rear.

Nothing out of the ordinary that I can see with the back panel removed. It appears to be suspended by four rods, each positioned in the upper corners of the frame. Under the drum is the motor and what I'm guessing would be some type of "off balance" switch. If leveling it out doesn't fix the problem, I would think that rigging up some type of bungee cord arrangement on the underside would tell me if it's having an electronic problem or if the switch is just hyper sensitive. Something that would discourage, but not eliminate, free swinging of the drum.

Maybe after the recall that LG had they went a bit overboard on the off balance sensitivity?

Are you aware of an exploded diagram of this model, something that I could use to identify which parts I'm looking at?

Thank you for your help Rick.

rickgburton

Staff member
796.3151*21* Service Manual

I think this is the correct manual for your machine. It's a large file so give it time to download:

Attachments

Matt Fisher

Premium Member
That's perfect. :applause:
Interestingly, on page 35 it shows a UE code, yet does not show uE as a code. I've verified that either can show up, dependent on the severity (real or insignificant) of the imbalance.
It appears that the Hall Sensor determines if there is a vibration issue, along with drum speed and direction.

I'm going to make sure there's not lint between the Hall Sensor and the drum magnets, that could certainly lead to error codes.
If that's not the case, I can test and/or replace the Hall Sensor and the drum suspension rods. I'm not seeing anything else that could limit the out of balance codes being thrown; am I missing something?

Should the above fail, I would think my only alternative would be to either move the Hall Sensor attachment spot slightly to reduce it's sensitivity, or fab up some bungee cords between the outer housing and the drum's surround.

rickgburton

Staff member
I'm not an LG fan. Never have been. I've stopped taking calls on LG appliances but I still tolerate LG refrigerators. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck.

Langenberg

What did you end up finding wrong with your washer to get the code UE to quit coming up? Same prob here but I'm not a do-it-yourself person like you. Would appreciate knowing asap- thanks!!

Langenberg

Have same Kenmore Elite model 796.31523211. Keeps bring up error code UE every time we use it. Now I found out those models had problems with it spinning too hard, so tried slowing the speed of the spin cycle and still codes out every time when it reaches the spin cycle.

Had our repairman out today from our maytag local store, and he couldn't diagnose it as he can't get any help from Kenmore, so luckily didn't charge me and told me to call Sears... He did say it's prob a sensor, suspension, transmission or control panel.

I spent over 2 hrs on phone with Sears repair with no luck and won't talk to me unless I pay a $99 diagnostic fee to diagnose over phone. Anyone know approx cost for each of these repairs if I have a repairman out? If it's too high priced better to just get new one. Appreciate your time- thanks!

rickgburton

Staff member

Langenberg

It does not shake at all or act like it's out of balance, I've checked the levelness twice and it's good... if it were the suspension wouldn't it shake or something?

Langenberg

Kenmore 796 top-load washer (made by LG?) keeps coming up with UE code flashing on the display.

As I understand it, that means Unbalanced load. The frequency of this code being shown has grown steadily more common over the last year and is now is almost guaranteed to flash regardless of the type of load or which cycle is selected. Sometimes it will stop the machine, other times it will continue functioning, but usually it will keep resetting the timer and starting the cycle partially over- not good for water or electricity conservation- plus it could take 4 hours for a complete wash/rinse/spin cycle to finish.

If I push the pause/start button whenever it UE shows up, the spin cycle can usually complete itself, but that pretty much requires me coming back to the machine every three to four minutes.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Matt- would you please lmk what you repaired to make your machine quit showing the UE code please?? Would help others with this same issue. Thanks!