Elite - Functioning poorly

jdkeneipp

Premium Member
Hi:

I have a 5 year old Kenmore Elite 665.15912 that is functioning poorly. This just recently started, worked great just two weeks ago. Dishes are dirty and soap isn't getting dispersed well as much of it remains in the dispenser. I'm comfortable taking things apart, but don't want to break anything. Any advice or instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jonathan from Bellingham, WA

jdkeneipp

Premium Member
Can I get some more advice/direction?

Hi Jake:

I replaced the grinder, the old one was definitely bent. I also ordered the check valve but the old one seemed fine, so I didn't replace it. Definitely, the DW works better, but there is still a problem with items in the top rack. I don't think the top rack mechanism is spinning at all. Also, I use the Cascade 2 in 1 Action Packs and frequently, the dispenser doesn't open and I'm left with a hockey puck of soap. If you have any more suggestions, I'm happy to give it a go.

Thanks,

Jonathan from Bellingham, WA

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
sounds like water quantity issue. Maybe faulty inlet valve. If you have a bad check valve that could cause water levels to drop and you'd hear it washing normally. After a few minutes it would get louder due to loss of water. Oversudsing can take away from quantity. If you lose water somehow or aren't getting any/enough in, it will wash poorly. Also, if you had a bent up grinder, maybe the motor wash impellar is damaged from a foreign object. I'd suspect that last though.

jdkeneipp

Premium Member
Almost got it

Hello:

I've replaced the grinder and that seemed to help. I bought the check valve but didn't bother replacing it because the existing CV looked fine. Just yesterday, I installed the new inlet valve and I still am not at 100%. I'm certain the upper unit is not rotating and thus not getting the dishes in the upper rack clean. I've learned a lot about dishwashers so far and it's kind of fun. I am looking forward to winning the war here, so any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I would tend to keep looking in the sump/pump assembly to see if something is clogging any of the ports.

Jake

jdkeneipp

Premium Member
Hi Jake:

Again, thanks for the advice. I took apart the pump area and used my shop vac to check for blockages. Everything seemed ok. Still I am not getting water to the top rack. I wanted to mention that frequently the soap doesn't seem to dissolve properly, I suspectthis is because water isn't coming from the top rack. Any more advice for me?

Thanks,

Jonathan

jdkeneipp

Premium Member
Add Water and Wow!

Hi Jake:

I was really worried about ordering the new pump/motor assembly and wanted to try one last thing before ordering. I notice that there is very little water in the DW after filling. I added water and everything changed. The upper rack was spinning, water was being circulated and the sound of the dishwasher was better. Remember, I replaced the inlet valve so I'm assuming it isn't receiving the proper voltage. Am I correct? Is this an easy fix?

Jonathan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the inlet water valve is letting water in, then the voltage is fine, you can always check the voltage at the inlet water valve with a volt/ohm meter, it should be 120 volts.

If you think its not letting enough water in, you may have a water pressure problem to your inlet water valve, the only water to check the water pressure is to take the water line off to your water inlet valve and get something to catch the water in, then test it, it should have good water pressure.

Jake

jdkeneipp

Premium Member
Success

Hello Jake:

Thank you for your great advice. Last night, I discovered that the DW was not getting enough water pressure. Under my sink, I have a valve that can cut-off the water to the DW, it somehow was adjusted to the almost closed position.

My DW now cleans great and is significantly quiter.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job finding that water pressure problem and fixing it.:)

Jake