EP Fault Code Shown in Display

FatThing

Premium Member
Model Number
AEW05LMS2
Brand
GE
My GE window A/C unit has been working just fine since I installed it less than a year ago. A few days ago, the "cool" light started blinking, and the compressor turned off, so no cool air was being released by the unit. I pressed the reset button on the power adapter, and unplugged it/cleaned the removable filter. After a couple of days being unplugged, I plugged it back in and it seemed to be working fine again.

After about a day of operation after plugging it back in, the compressor turned off again after the error code "EP" appeared in the temperature display. Once again, no cold air was being released by the unit. I did many Google searches, and turned up nothing....only people asking this same question, and getting no viable solutions. I also checked the manual that came with it, and it didn't appear to give any information on this fault code, or any other fault codes for that matter.

I'm not exactly sure where to go with this, and can't afford to have the unit serviced at the present time. So if anyone has any possible suggestions that I can try to get this working again, or possibly some insight into what "EP" means, I would be very highly appreciative. :)

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I'll see if I can find that error code for you but you listed the age as less than 1 year. Call GE for warranty repair. If you attempt a repair, you risk voiding your warranty.

FatThing

Premium Member
Thanks for the help. I look forward to any help you're able to find. :)

As for the warranty, I'm just outside of the warranty period. I should have mentioned that, while I installed it less than a year ago, I actually purchased it a few months before that in April of last year. I listed it as less than a year because I hadn't opened it until mid-August.

Icehouse

HVAC Tech
I called everyone up to GE and GE couldn't give me an answer. I finally found a repair shop that had seen the same error. It is the result of a failed sensor on the cold side coils. It is basically a thermocouple. Some unit's have two thermocouples; one for the temperature reading on the display and one to signal the electronics in the event of the cold side coil freezing. This is the one connected to the copper portion of the tube part of the cooling coils. The local shop put a thermocouple (display thermocouple) from another unit in place of the cold side coil thermocouple. This basically bypassed the one that triggered the electronics in the event of the coil freezing. Unfortunately you can't just buy the thermocouple from GE, you have to buy the whole computer board which is about 100 bucks... The reality is the thermocouple is what is bad and if you knew the specs of the thermocouple, you could replace it for around 10 bucks.Makes me want to not buy GE products any longer

FatThing

Premium Member
Thank you very much for your help, and for going through the trouble to call around. :) Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the specs of thermocouples....so I'll probably just be better off getting a new one when I can afford it. It's not all that bad though because I've needed a higher capacity unit anyways.

Thanks again to both of you for helping out.