EPA 608 Certification

DjFrobo

Premium Member
So my goal in the past year has been to get my refrigerant certification. My father in law has his universal and is very experienced and willing to teach me although I wanted something a little more structured to build a good understanding. I chose to enroll in a local community college for their refrigerant and air conditioning program: catalog.nr.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=21&poid=834

In the past year I have realized that the classes are not always available. This summer I had to wait cause only one class was being offered which mean my pell grant wouldn't kick in. So my question is this, should I keep with the program or self teach, take the exam and rely on my father in law for hands on? The second part of that question is where the heck do I go to "just take" the exam?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Your father in law probably knows more about refrigeration than the people that wrote the test. I took the original test for certification in 1998 and it took about 8 hours. Refrigerants that destroy the ozone are no longer an issue. Now days they just want your money. You can take the test online and download the software so it's basically on open book test. I don't know of anyone that had to retake it. Your father in law can probably tell you what kind of questions they ask. Don't misunderstand me, HVAC classes and hands on experience is a good thing and you can learn a lot. It's just not necessary to take this test. One more thing, I've never ever seen any refrigeration or EPA police...lol