Error E50 AEG Lavatherm 56740 - How to enter service mode to diagnose further?

Bonthron

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
This has started to happen intermittently. My dryer drum will turn for a couple minutes and then sound like it's struggling to turn the drum. It will eventually stop, display error code E50 and then beep twice every 10 seconds or so. From my search of the internet it sounds as if this is motor related – either the physical motor or on the motor section of the PCB.

Is there a diagnostic mode for this machine that might allow me to further refine where the problem is?

Thanks.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I've never heard of that brand. Maybe jeff1 has. Jeff lives and has an appliance shop in Canada, he may know.

Bonthron

Premium Member
AEG isn't a Canadian brand either, but it's pretty big in Europe though. The previous owner of my condo liked his expensive European appliances which is good for me for general usage, but it kinda sucks when I have to do repairs. We have one AEG parts supplier here in Canada but their prices are four or five times what I'd pay for a part from Europe even with shipping!

I'll try Jeff and see if he can help me, though I suspect our smaller market up here might make info even more scarce.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Viking and Thermador are like that. This might be helpful; All major appliances regardless of brand come with a tech sheet and wiring diagram. The tech sheet has the steps to enter service mode and a list of error codes. It's usually found in an envelope taped to one of the inside panels or in the console. If the machine has had service work done on it before, there's always the chance the last tech took it home with him but most techs are courteous enough to put it back.

Even though I haven't heard of that brand all dryers basically work the same way. It does sound like a motor issue with your dryer but it's also possible something is keeping it from turning like rollers or glides. Most of the dryer motors I've replaced have the RPM and Amperage rating stamped on the motor label. Check the current draw on the motor. If it's higher than what the rating is, it's bad. It can also be something as simple as cleaning out the motor or lint filter housing.

I think your starting point should be to take it apart and check for something obvious like a frozen idler pulley or roller. See if the motor shaft turns free with the belt off. Keep in mind there are no parts in a dryer that need lubrication. Do not use any lubricants on the dryer. Steel wool or soap and water for any stuck parts.

Bonthron

Premium Member
I thought I should post an update...

More research made it look like my problem was definitely power related and most likely the PCB, motor brushes, or start capacitor. I checked all those over with no obvious visual problem. So I ordered a new capacitor off eBay as that was my first cheapest replacement part to test. That didn't work. One evening while the dryer was running (it did run about 75% of the time) and I was racking my brain over this issue, I noticed the power cord right near the plug was very hot. I shut the circuit down at the breaker panel (250V scares me) and then I tried to pull the dryer's power plug. With a bit of prying with a screwdriver I was able to get it out. Turns out the plug post had melted and scorched the 250V 2amp duplex outlet! Then taking the power cord plug apart I discovered this...

IMG_6925.jpg

I'm not sure what exactly caused this but I replaced the 250V 20amp duplex outlet in the box, trimmed back the power cord and installed a new plug. Since doing this I've ran about 8 loads through the dryer without an error code or stopage, and the power cord has remained cool to the touch. I am assuming my problem has been solved.

Moral of the story: Don't always look for the most complicated or hard to get at areas first. If it's a power related issue for example, look at the WHOLE power circuit from beginning to end.

Hope this helps someone.