ES650DORS State Select Water Heater Reset Button Tripping

Gowolfpack83

Premium Member
Model Number
ES650DORS
Brand
I have a hot water heater that we have to reset the red button every other day. I am thinking that it could be that the water temp is set too high. I adjusted the upper water temp control, but didn't do the bottom at first. The water heater went longer without needing to be reset, but then it tripped again. I now adjusted the bottom temp down to the same level as the upper temp control. Hopefully this will work, but if it does not, should I then replace both thermostats? The only other item that I read that could be causing this would be the elements themselves, which involves draining the unit. Just want to make sure that I am on the right track.

Gowolfpack83

Premium Member
One more question. When resetting the upper thermostat, should I be turning off the switch on the electrical panel, then resetting and then turning the switch in the electrical panel back on. Or should all I have to do is hit the red reset button on the upper thermostat? Not sure if it would make a difference or not.

Icehouse

HVAC Tech
The question is why is it tripping ? You might be wise to install a GFI circuit breaker

Gowolfpack83

Premium Member
I replaced the lower thermostat, and still the upper thermostat (which I replaced to begin with) is still tripping. I have attached an image of both thermostats so that you can see how they are wired. This is frustrating because I am renting the house, and the owners live out of town and haven't been much help. When it first happened they told me that it would trip every once in awhile and to just reset it by turning the breaker off and then hitting the reset button and then turning the breaker back on.

Originally, this would only last for a few days and then it would have to be reset again. Needless to say, something is not right. The only thing that I can think of is that the hot water heater is not wired correctly. When I replaced the thermostats, I rewired them exactly the way that I found them. Based on the pictures, do you think they are wired correctly? If so, do you think it is an electrical issue with the power to the hot water heater?

View attachment 3847

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the wiring looks fine, but those wires are awful thin wires, never seen that thin of wires used on water heaters. What gauge wire is it?

Jake

BJRATIGAN

was this problem resolved? I have the same problem with a 40 gal GE electric hot water heater. The reset button had to be reset every day. tEsted the top element. It was good. Replaced the top thermostat...got hot water, then same problem again. The bottom element does not have reset button. Unit still needs reset every day. Any solution?

huygir

I know this is an old thread, but since I "found" it I suspect others will also. I did not see anyone address this issue this way (although I did not read the entire thread)... In my experience the most likely cause of constant breaker reset is mineral build up on the heating elements. That makes the heat transfer inefficient and the elements overheat triggering the breaker. Replacing the controllers obviously will not help in this case. You can either do routine maintenance with vinegar (assuming you are comfortable opening the tank) or (somewhat easier) just drain, remove elements, clean or replace elements. Depending on the minerals in your water you might have to do this as often as very couple of years. Mine usually last about 3 before they start tripping the breaker (and of course I always forget to do annual cleaning to prevent, so I usually have a bunch of new elements in my toolbox for the inevitable replacement).