Estate Washer not draining completely

friendlyhug

Premium Member
I have a Whirlpool Estate washer that's 4 years old I recently purchased from an elderly lady. It has worked fine for a month or so but started to not drain all the way. Clothes are still soaked and a little water is left in tub. We noticed when we tried to remove more of the water by putting it thru another spin cycle it had a burnt? smell like the motor was getting too hot? The probelm has gotten worse over 2 weeks time. I read somewhere that to test the pump and clutch fill tub like normal but as it starts to agitate stop and switch to spin cycle. If all water drains within 70 seconds or less then clutch is probably bad. I assumed that if it didn't remove all water in that time then something was wrong with pump or it was blocked. I did the test and the water(it was a full tub of water) took almost 2 miutes to drain completely even though I watched the drain tube and it seemed to be coming out as fast as it could. Can you help? Kevin

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Kevin,

Whats the model# of your washer? Its located under the lid.

Jake

friendlyhug

Premium Member
Estate washer model# TAWS850PQ1

Estate washer model# is TAWS850PQ1...also this machine has a very accentuated agitator cycle than most washers I have seen. It has been this way since purchase. Is this a common issue for this model?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

Do you have the drain hose taped in to your drain pipe in your home? Does the drain hose just go into your drain pipe loosely? So you have an air gap?

I'd take your pump off and check inside it, something may be slightly clogging it.

Read #4 on how to check the pump:
http://www.applianceaid.com/procedures.html

Here's the water pump for your model:
Manufacturer's Number: 3363394

Let us know what you find.

also this machine has a very accentuated agitator cycle than most washers I have seen. It has been this way since purchase. Is this a common issue for this model?
I'm not sure what you mean by accentuated, can you take a video of it agitating and upload it to youtube.com so I can see for myself what you mean?

Jake<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

friendlyhug

Premium Member
Estate draining problem

Thanks for getting back so quickly....It drains into an open laundry style tub. The drain tube comes out of the washer goes up level w/the top of the washer(on the back side)and then down into the tub which is only an inch or so away from washer. the end of the drain tube is probably about 2ft off the floor when draining into tub. I will follow your other instructions and let you know what I find. I'll also try to video washer when agitating. I'll be out of town till Tuesday so you won't hear from me till then. Thanks again for your advice!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

friendlyhug

Premium Member
Hey Jake,

I got back later than I thought....just took machine apart and looked closely at pump. Nothing to report...took pump and hoses off machine....pump looks clean and seems to turn normal....hoses are clean as well. My daughter mentioned she used a few times while I was out of town and washer seemed to work ok? I'd rather hear that it was still having the same problem in some ways. On again-off again breakdowns are hard to diagnose. Still interested in your thoughts. What about test I did which took longer than 70 seconds? Is 2 minutes ok for draining or is that too long? Let me know and thanks! Kevin

friendlyhug

Premium Member
Jake....Sorry but my wife just explained my daughters use of machine while we were gone....she put very small loads in because wife told her it doesn't drain all the way otherwise....so it looks like there is nothing new and washer still has trouble.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, not sure what else to tell you to check, as you have checked the common drain issues.

You may have to have a tech. come out to see whats going on.

Jake

friendlyhug

Premium Member
Hey Jake....What do you think of the drain "test" I performed? Is 2 minutes too long for the pump to remove water? Somewhere on a forum I read several times in different spots that 70 seconds or less was ok but over 70 was not. What do you think? Kevin

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It should drain within 90 seconds.

Jake

friendlyhug

Premium Member
Hey Jake.....There is a light coating of black powder with a few metallic particles here and there on top of transmission casing? Is the clutch right above the transmission? Also is the transmission suspect? I appreciate all the help given and feel like we are getting close. Thanks again, Kevin

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
2 minutes isn't that much over 90 seconds, so I can't say thats exactly the cause, your saying once it drains all the water and spins the final spin cycle, the clothes are coming out still were you can ring water out of them? If so, then its possibly not spinning fast enough, then that gets into the clutch, basket drive, transmission parts.

Here's the gearcase for your model:
Gearcase for direct drive washer(The manufacturer has replaced part number 3360630 with this item, part number 3360629.)

Here is the basket drive for your model:
Manufacturer part number 285792 is RepairClinic item number 1254

Here is your clutch assembly:
Manufacturer part number 285785 is RepairClinic item number 2670

Here's a good help link to access these parts:
http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/showthread.php?t=97

I usually change the basket drive, clutch and transmission all at the same time, as all those parts work together to produce a fast final spin cycle.

Some members have reported just changing the clutch to have the same results, but its a chance you take, as a year or 2 later the basket drive fails then you have to take it apart again.

These Estate washers are very inexpensive, so buying all the parts would actually be more expensive than just buying a new Estate brand new.

Usually I find these parts wear quickly when the washer is being used daily/many times a day, so its kinda unusual for an elderly person to keep washing at this rate unless she had all here family members either living with her or coming over to her house daily to use her washer at this rate.:)

Jake

friendlyhug

Premium Member
Jake.....I appreciate your help. Having read your comments and still searching other threads for any bits of info, I see that others have had similiar issues even though their models are different from mine. They have a connection though because they are all Whirlpool. We do use the washer daily and sometimes several times a day so it has been used a lot more often than the lady we purchased from. She had used for 2 years and then purchased a stackable for space reasons and let unit set for 2 years before we bought it. One more question can we contact Whirlpool about warranty on clutch, transmission, and basket drive? I read a few posts where people have done this and Whirlpool paid for part. Thanks for bearing w/me on this....I am ready to replace parts if most of the cost is paid by Whirlpool seeing that the unit is only about 4 years old. Kevin

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You only have a 5 yr. part warranty on the gearcase, not the clutch and basket drive.

You would need to contact Estate to see if the warranty is transferable.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Jake