FIXED Estate Washer won't spin

opy01

Premium Member
Model Number
sm 8525147-a
Brand
Estate
I just replaced the clutch in this washer since it would not spin and that's what the internet said it should be. When it still wouldn't spin I tilted it back and watched as the spin cycle started. The first thing I noticed was the brake disengaged when the spin cycle started and the clutch housing spins fine as well as the brake parts inside the brake housing. When I turn off the washer and manually turn the drum I see the brake housing, clutch housing and motor spin and the brake is engaged.

The washer does agetate and drain. I am unsure if the drum is supposed to move when agetating but the center doohicky does agetate.

Why would the brake disengage when the spin cycle startes?
Isn't the brake supposed to engage to make the drum spin with the motor?

Last edited:
F

fairbank56

If the brake shoes and spring are spinning but basket is not, then you have a bad tub drive block. The brakes prevent the basket from moving around during agitation and to stop the basket quickly when spin cycle ends. They must be disengaged for spin to occur. The number you provided is not the washer model number but from your description, I am assuming this is a Whirlpool direct drive design.

Drive Block WP389140 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

Eric

Last edited:

opy01

Premium Member
That makes sense. I'll order it and see if that works. Thank you very much.

The model number I listed should be correct since it was on the lid where this site said it may be. I google that model number and it shows that it is a Whirlpool Estate washer. It is a direct drive as well.

F

fairbank56

Sounds good, let us know how it turns out. That's not a model number, seems more like a serial number. Estate generally starts with ETW.

Eric

opy01

Premium Member
Yea it probably is the SN but it was the only number I could find. Thank goodness these parts are universal, mostly lol

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I agree with Eric, check your drive block first.

Lets see if you can find the actual model number just to be on the safe side.

Click here: Appliance Parts at RepairClinic. 125 Brands. 365 Day Returns.

Then you will see a link that says: Help me find my model number.

You can see the comparison of the drive block below.

See the one on the left, its the old one, the one on the right is the new one. It has to have those 2 ear slots. Does yours look like the one on the left or right?

Jake

opy01

Premium Member
It was a while before I got this installed, due to illness and other such obstacles, but I'm not sure that was the problem. When I disassembled the drum I found a old, hard sock stuck at the top between the inner drum and rim. I removed, inspected and reinstalled the old drive block then plugged the washer in and put some water in the drum and it was actually spinning with the old drive block that still looked good. I cleaned the washing machine as good as possible then put the new drive block in since I already had it and reassembled the washer and it works fine. The drum is basically held in place by compression when tightening the top nut with the spanner wrench and I'm thinking with the sock jammed in the top and hard as a rock it was just making the drum slip on the compression fittings and me tightening the nut with the spanner wrench tightened it enough to get a grip again.

Without your tip on the drive block though I never would have figured the rest out. Thanks for all your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:)

Jake