• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

ESUF16D FreeOFrost upright freezer drain tray iced up & fan doesn't run

ofelas

Premium Member
Model Number
ESUF16D
Brand
Amana
Hi all,

Noticed the fan wouldn't spin, after we found the freezer rapidly got warmer in a few hours.

Noticed the drain tray area under the fan was choked with ice, and the bottom most fan blade was actually stuck in a block of ice.

Removed the back panel, freed the stuck fan blade, switched the freezer back on, and the fan worked.

Then I unplugged the 4 fan wires (double green, yellow with green tracer, white, and black) , rested the entire panel/bracket/motor/fan blade assembly over the sink.

Cleaned out the ice, removed the drain grommet in the aluminum tray, used hot water to verify the drain hole was clear, all good so far.

Reinstalled the panel/bracket/fan-motor assembly, turned the freezer on, fan won't come on at all.

The green wire appears to be the ground as its clipped to the bracket via a metal prong clip that pierces the insulation.

Ran a jumper wire directly to the metal bracket case, fan still won't work.

Not sure how old this model is, so I put "over 10 years" as it still seems to use R12.

Thanks in advance for any help.

A couple pics -

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Probably close to 30 years old. Check for 120 VAC across the black wire and the white wire. If your meter shows 120 VAC the evap motor is bad. It is no longer available but a Supco SM999 universal fan motor will work.

ofelas

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply, I will check for 120v across the black & white wires.

If it’s indeed the motor, where can I find a replacement fan blade? One blade snapped off.

And where do the remaining two wires plug in?

Also - there’s this small rotary knob (defrost timer?) near the front right leg - I think I read somewhere that it’s supposed to turn/stop, but it manually turns/clicks with no stop.

ofelas

Premium Member
Update - manually rotating the defrost timer knob seems to turn the compressor off, and then on when I rotate it again.

There is 115.6v across the black & white wires.

With the motor unplugged, there is continuity across the coil terminals (where the black & white wires were plugged).

What next?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
If you have 115 VAC at the motor and the motor doesn't run, replace the motor. I'm not sure where you can get the fan blade. Take it to your local appliance parts house and see if they can match it. The green wires and the green and yellow wire are ground wires.

ofelas

Premium Member
I managed to find an NOS Amana/Whirlpool motor.

How does one get the fan blade off the shaft?

ofelas

Premium Member
Right.
i couldn’t figure out that spring clip.
Bench vise and crowbar time I reckon.