• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

ET18GMXHW01 Whirlpool fridge ice maker problem

mountain1

Premium Member
Model Number
ET18GMXHW01
Brand
Whirlpool
Hi all...it is always a pleasure to address problem solving with the help of you knowledgeable and helpful folks. Anyway...I have a Whirlpool model ET18GMXHW01 fridge. The icemaker is 106626636. What is happening is this: The icemaker fills with water, freezes, but then does not become activated to start the harvest cycle. Hours go by and the harvest cycle does not activate to harvest the ice into the tray. I then jump the H and T test holes which then will start the harvest cycle and the icemaker does complete the harvest cycle, dumps the ice into the tray and then sends water to the icemaker mold. The water in the mold will freeze but again the harvest cycle does not start even after a few hours until I manually jump the icemaker to start the harvest cycle.

Do any of you have any thoughts or comments that would help me to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

If the temperature in the freezer is always below 10 degrees and the ice maker is not harvesting on its own, your ice maker is the culprit, seen this many times on my service calls.

Here's the Ice Maker assembly for your model you can order:
4317943 Whirlpool Icemaker Kit

Jake

mountain1

Premium Member
Thanks Jake...If I may ask...All seems to be normal except after the mold is watered and the water freezes, why does the icemaker not begin the harvest cycle on its own? Is there a part inside the module that is the culprit? If so, what is the part that is needed to avoid the purchase of an new ice maker if a defective part in the module can be replaced to correct the inability of the icemaker to start the Harvest cycle.

Thanks for your assistance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I had a feeling you were going to ask that.:)

Its the ice maker thermostat that is bad, but when you order the thermostat, you have to also order the aluminastic, and ordering both of those parts together is almost the same price as the complete ice maker itself.

And if the mold heater goes out then your up a creek, you'd have to order that too, and that would cost more than a new ice maker altogether.

Jake