ET1CHMXKT03 Whirlpool top freezer unit: drain keeps freezing up.

aleo101

Premium Member
Model
ET1CHMXKT03
Brand
Whirlpool
I am having a very vexing problem with my whirlpool refrigerator. Freezer on top unit. It all started with finding water in the refrigerator area. Frozen drain plug, ok...no biggie. I defrost the unit-- unplug it, used a hair-dryer to melt any ice around the plug. Takes about 3-4 hours of slow patience...on my part (and more so on my GF’s part)--I clean the area well while working.

Model ET1CHMXKT03 mfg 03/05

I’ve done this a few times, but each time after about a week, it starts again. I purchased the little metal probe and installed it as best I can. I had to cut about ½ inch off of it as it was not fitting down the drain hole, which seems to have a hard curve in it (not straight down)- When I try to push a flexible probe (long flexible zip tie) it seems to make a quick turn and bottom out .

The water drips down into the refrigerator area, and thank goodness, is localized enough that a bowl catches it-- and it even freezes in the bowl inside the refrigerator area! I played with the settings also but that did not help.

I also used an air blower (compressed air) to blow down the drain hole when the ice melts from the drain hole. I’m thinking perhaps there is some other blockage in the drain system. Is there a check valve on this type of system?

I”d like to hear what any of you might do as a next step.

Thank you so much for reading, and responding.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I also used (compressed air) to blow down the drain hole when the ice melts from the drain hole.
I might have suggested you try the other way, from the bottom up. If something got in the pipe but can't get all the way down, it might be able to be pushed up and out the top again. (Put a rag other the hole at the top to catch/filter anything that blows out.)

Is there a check valve on this type of system?
There's usually nothing other than maybe a goose-neck.

Dan O.