• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED ETW4100SQ0 Estate washer spin acting strange AFTER clutch kit repair

ShyGuy

Premium Member
Last video showing how the transmission should turn smooth and freely.

Hope all these help any future DIYer :D

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, but you didn't replace the neutral drain kit?

Just in one sentence what was the fix? LOL

Jake

ShyGuy

Premium Member
Ok, but you didn't replace the neutral drain kit?
No, I didn't replace the neutral drain kit because:
1. Upon inspection I didn't see anything wrong, worn, or broken with any of the pieces including the large plastic gear which is often included with the neutral drain kit
2. My washer wasn't exhibiting the symptom shown in the video you posted which shows the washer spinning during the drain cycle; it just wasn't spinning at all

Just in one sentence what was the fix? LOL
Disassembling the transmission completely, cleaning each part thoroughly, lubing each part carefully upon reassembly, and filling the gear case with 16 oz of fresh gear oil.

After this, the transmission operated much smoother than before as I show in the video in post #22. I also want to stress or point out that there was nothing wrong with any of the internal parts of the gearcase. They simply needed cleaning and fresh oil. Needless to say I am extremely happy with the result and I am looking forward to many more years of reliable operation :D

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, but the point I'm trying to make is you didn't do anything to fix it, you just took everything apart and put it back together again.:)

The chances of this happening again arehighly likely, you see what I mean?

I'm hopefully you are right don't get me wrong, but being a 33 year career appliance tech I've seen problems come back too many times, if we don't replace the worn out part.:)

Maybe it's the SERVICE tech in me, that doesn't want to have to go back to the customers house to face this problem again. LOL

Jake

ShyGuy

Premium Member
Jake,

I understand completely. Service techs have to warranty their work and that is hard to do unless you replace the failing part because there is no guarantee a rebuild like mine, which would have likelier been more costly in labor than a simple pull and replace, will last more than a few washes or a few months.

I am nonplussed why my gearcase wasn't spinning and why my rebuild fixed it. But one thing I can say with 100% confidence is that the gearcase operates much, much smoother than before. And, the washer sounds even quieter. So without question, the disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly helped, like how a car benefits from an oil change.

But whatever the problem, it is certainly fixed for now. I have done close to a dozen loads, monitoring the spin during both the wash and the rinse, and each time, without fail, the spin starts. Big loads. Small loads. And before the rebuild, the spin would only start up by hand and even that was getting harder and harder with each load and was especially difficult with small loads as I didn't have the assistance of the additional weight from large loads.

I posted my experience because a new gearcase is $200+ with S+H, and I think most will opt to replace their washer at that price. So, if a homeowner is having this problem, given that the cost is some elbow grease and 16 oz of fresh gear oil, I think it is totally worth a try. Who knows? It just might work and you will have saved a bundle. And even if the fix is only temporary, it gives homeowners a window in which to start saving for a new washer :D

Thanks!

ShyGuy

Premium Member
I just wanted to post back with a quick update since it has been nearly a month since I rebuilt my gearcase. My family has done many, many loads of laundry over these past several weeks. Not a single problem! The spin cycle operates flawlessly. Big loads, small loads, it doesn't matter. Clearly, there was something in my gearcase impeding the spin cycle. No idea what or how as nothing stood out during the disassembly. But I am ecstatic!

Also, hats off to Jake for his patient assistance throughout my troubleshooting and repair (y)

Would I have tackled this were it not for the coronavirus lockdown and Jake's help? Probably not. This was truly a time consuming, difficult repair. Taking apart a 14 year old washer is not easy. But at the same time, I am also happy because a big chunk of that time was spent thoroughly clean the washer inner and outer tub. So in addition to a washer that operates flawlessly, it is also super, super clean! But, to anyone who is sufficiently determined, don't be afraid to take this on. It is possible :)

If at some point in the future, the spin cycle starts acting up again, I will be sure to post back here with an update!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, I'm glad its still working great!

Yes, come back periodically and keep us posted.:)

Jake

theripster

Premium Member
Just an outsider with a comment to make. I have had a fair amount of washers that did not separate the pump and spin cycles correctly. I have replaced the neutral pak on all of them and they ran properly afterward. I inspected all the used parts I took out and could never see what the wear was, but after the repair they all worked properly. I am not a professional repairman, and all my repairs have been made on machines that I have acquired and then resold after repairing them. Just my thoughts.