• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Evaporator fan keeps cycling on and off.

Stache

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore side by side with icemaker and water dispenser. My evaporator fan on startup cycles on and off many times before it will stay on and keep running. It does not matter if the compressor is starting or not. I have seen many posts about this problem with my brand and others but no one ever seems to post the final solution to the problem. Would a slow opening damper control cause this or is it more likely the control board?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

For your model...It is usually the adaptive board that does that...newest repair kit...

Defrost-Control-Board-5303918476--01176283.jpg LINK> Refrigerator adaptive defrost control board - comes with some destuctions.

jeff.

Stache

Premium Member
I replaced the board and it fixed the fan problem. The damper stays open if the fridge needs cold air. However, when the thermostat tells it to close the compressor shuts down but the damper keeps opening and closing constantly until the fridge needs cold air again. It then opens and stays open. Did I get a bad board. All the wiring was identical. All I had to do was plug it in.

Stache

Premium Member
Nevermind, I did in fact have to install the new harness. Should be good now. I will confirm that later.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Send that one back, install the new one and wiring at the same time....fingers crossed all will be good then!

jeff.