• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED EW23BC85KS3 Electrolux Refrigerator - no power following incident with ice dispenser

vaillancourtj

Premium Member
Model Number
EW23BC85KS3
Brand
Electrolux
Hello,

The ice dispenser in the fresh food door stopped working a few weeks ago. You could hear it turning inside, but no ice would come out. We stopped using it and the fridge and water dispenser continued to work fine. Over the weekend someone unaware of the problem used the ice dispenser. It did indeed dispense ice and once he was done all power to the fridge was lost.

We checked the breaker, and the power outlet and both were fine so it was in fact the fridge. Tried leaving it unplugged for a while and plugging it in again to no avail. When I pulled out the ice container, I noticed what appeared to be a temperature probe hanging, with one wire cut. I attempted to reconnect the wire but the fridge still will not power on.

I found this forum because of others who posted similar problems. Although they fixed the issue by replacing both the ice dispenser and the control board, I am wondering if it is possible for the fridge to run without the ice dispenser?

At this point I would prefer to simply replace the control board if that can get the fridge running again. If that does work then I would consider fixing the ice dispenser.

Thanks for your help.

Julie

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Julie,

Unfortunately, you can't just replace the control board without replacing the ice maker too. If you try to it will blow out the new control board again.

Now what you can do is, after you replace both the ice maker and control board just turn the refrigerator ice maker off completely and turn off the ice dispenser, and use your ice maker in the freezer instead. Ever since these appliance manufacturers started putting ice makers in the refrigerator section it has caused all kinds of trouble with all the refrigerator brands, that was not a very good idea for them to do that.

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
242115233 Board-Main Power

Watch this video to replace it: Frigidaire/Electrolux Refrigerator Replace Main Control Board

APP does not ship to Canada, only RepairClinic does and its currently out of stock at RepairClinic: Main Control Board 242115233

Here's the ice maker for your model you can order("HOW TO" video included in part link):
Ice Maker Assembly 243297609

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

vaillancourtj

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I'm heading to Michigan next week so can order from APP and pick up there. I just want to confirm which board I need. The number on the current board is 242115235. This part is cross referenced under Part No. AP5809299 on the APP site, but when I enter my model number (EW23BC85KS3) it says it's not compatible. The board you listed in your response above shows as being compatible with my model but does not cross reference the number of my current part. I want to make sure I am ordering the correct part.

Thanks again
Julie

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I double checked and the board for your model number is 242115233.

Do you see the link to it I posted to it above in post#2?

Jake

MAlbers

Premium Member
Jake, I found this post from a couple years ago while researching a recent issue with my Electrolux refrigerator (EW23BC85KS7). Surprisingly, the situation that Vaillancourtj experience is identical, I mean exact, to what I experienced with my frig -- Ice Maker was the initial issue, cord hanging down with sensor on it the ice bin was severed, and a sudden complete power loss. So I followed your advice to her and ordered and replaced both the ice maker and the control board. Disappointingly, that didn't fix the problem. My frig is STILL completely dark as if it were not plugged into the wall (yes it is, and yes I've tried to reset the unit by unplugging/plugging for 10 minutes and I've checked the breaker).
Have you seen this before? Could the issue be tied to the other control board on the door for the ice maker and temperature controls? Any other potential resolutions to this problem??
I appreciate any help you can provide.

Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Mike, what is the part number of your control board you installed?

Your model takes a different control board than Vaillancourtj's does.

Here's the control board for your model:
242115275 Board-Main Power

Jake

MAlbers

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick reply Jake. Yes, I made sure (I believe) that I ordered the right control board for my frig. The part # on the board that I pulled from the frig is 242115346. As part numbers go, I had to search quite a bit to find what I believe is the same board, and when it arrived I can tell you that they are identical in appearance, and I trust that means functionality. Bad assumption??
Here is what I purchased.

Attachments

• 1602266735002.png
    1602266735002.png
    920.2 KB · Views: 188

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, bad assumption.

Always order appliance parts from the official parts diagram list.

Here's the parts diagram list for your model:
#50 is the main power board you need, which I posted in post #6 above.

Also its best NOT to order parts from amazon or ebay, there is no real oversight there. Many folks have received non-oem parts or used parts passed on a new parts and wonder why they don't work.

I get all of my parts from AppliancePartsPros and RepairClinic, both sites are OEM only and have 365 days warranty on ALL parts!

Jake

MAlbers

Premium Member
Thanks. Once more, I really appreciate the quick response and feedback. I've ordered the part you've recommended from AppliancePartsPros and hope to receive it quickly to get this refrigerator back up and running after 2 weeks (long story on chasing the extended warranty on it for the first week).
Only confirming question -- the board I pulled from the frig has part # 242115346 and the confirmation for my order from APP shows part # 242115275. Any reason to think that's an issue? Thanks again.

Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Mike, 242115346 does not pull up as good.

When you order parts you always go by your model number, not the part number on the part, as those can be production numbers.

242115275 Board-Main Power is for your model.

When you click the part link, you can even go to the Appliance Compatibility Tool and put your model number in to confirm it.:)

Jake

MAlbers

Premium Member
Got it Jake. Makes sense. Hoping the frig lights up when I install the board you're recommending and we'll finally be cool again :cool:
I'll let you know.

Mike

MAlbers

Premium Member
Jake, GREAT news - the new board worked and my refrigerator is up and running. BIG thank you to you for helping me understand the proper part needed to resolve the issue. And AppliancePartsPros were terrific in getting me the board in just two days, which was great. I'm excited that the frig is back up and running, but....
After installing the new board today at 1:00 EST, five hours later it has not made any ice in the top or bottom ice makers. Of course I initially thought the unit needed to drop to freezing temps, and it has, but a quick check of both ice trays finds that there is no water in either, which is the obvious problem. I'm able to get plenty of water from the water dispenser on the door without issue, so I know I'm getting water to the unit. And frankly, nothing really changed in that respect, so it's rather puzzling.
Sorry for keeping this dialogue going, but any feedback on what might be the problem?
Thanks.

Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Mike, glad to hear the new control board fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Give the ice maker 24 hours to start making ice.

Jake

MAlbers

Premium Member
All GOOD Jake. Ice makers started making ice late last night and there are a few rounds of cubes in both bins this morning.
Once more, BIG thanks to you for your help!

Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Mike, glad to hear that.:)

Jake

MAlbers

Premium Member
Well Jake, disappointed to be reaching back out to you again. After a month of everything working properly with the fridge and the ice maker, the upper ice maker that failed in early October is now not making ice. A check of the ice bin shows only a handful of really small cubes, as if the ice trays filled only half way before the tray dumped them. I can reach up into the ice tray and feel that there is a comparable amount water frozen in the individual cubes/tray but they're not dumping.

Every heard of this issue before? I'm guessing I'm safe to shut power off to the refrigerator and pull the ice maker out to examine it? I don't want to compromise the main board again with anything that I do.
You were super helpful with everything last month. Hoping you can help me through this issue again as well.
Thanks very much.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, unplug the refrigerator and remove the upper ice maker and see what's going on.

Jake

MAlbers

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I did as you suggested. Inspection of the ice maker after removing it showed little. I reinstalled and turned the fridge back on and a few hours later it was making ice. Perhaps the "reboot" was all that was needed. As always, I appreciate your help and advice.

Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Mike, sounds good.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

MAlbers

Premium Member
Well Jake....it's me again. First, Happy NEW Year, and thanks for your help in 2020.
So the ice maker is continuing to give me trouble. It's working, intermittently, but here's what's going on -- It'll make a full bin of ice, sometimes a heaping bin, and presumably stop because the lever indicates it's full. We'll then use all of the ice in the bin in 1 - 2 weeks, but the ice maker doesn't make anymore and I realize it when it struggles to dispense ice. I flip the breaker to the frig to reset it and it'll begin filling the bin again 'til it's full after 1-2 days, and the cycle I describe starts all over again.
Any idea why this is happening? Is it something with the full bin lever on the ice maker?? Something else? As always, I appreciate any advice that you might have.
Thanks.

Mike