EW30EW65GS7 Electrolux double wall oven slow to heat.

coryjames52

Premium Member
Model Number
EW30EW65GS7
Brand
Electrolux
Our double wall oven has been having problems for a while. The top oven (the one we use the most) is slow to heat. I set both ovens to 350 and it took the top one ten minutes longer to get to temp. I checked all of the elements and got the same readings, (the top elements on both ovens were 14.5 ohms, the bottom elements were 22 ohms.) I ran the ovens and the amp draws with similar and the voltage was at 240. I checked the temperature sensors and got around 1080 ohms. Could the elements be warn out even though they ohm out good? I'm going to check the temperatures next week when I get a thermocouple for my meter.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The top oven (the one we use the most) is slow to heat.......took the top one ten minutes longer ......
It's not the elements that wear out, it all the electronics on the control board for the top oven that wear out because that oven gets used the most. However, that sounds normal for that model. I wouldn't replace a control board for the top oven taking ten minutes longer to reach temperature.

coryjames52

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. I ran the two ovens again and noticed that once the lower oven hit 350 the elements stayed off while the upper one was constantly switching on the upper and lower elements. The bottom oven didn't switch back on until I held the door open. I also put a bowl of ice in each as a dummy way of checking the temperatures and the upper one must be off because it took a while longer to melt the ice. Also her recipes haven't been turning out. I'm going to check the temps with a gauge next week and maybe I can just adjust the temperature in the control panel but i'm not sure why the elements would be one the whole time yet still be at a lower temperature then the bottom one.

rickgburton

Staff member
Yes I agree, the next step should be getting an accurate temperature reading for both ovens

coryjames52

Premium Member
So I took temperature readings and found that the top oven was consistently 25 degrees warmer while heating. When set to 300 it turned off at 360, then back on at 308 and stayed on and steady around the 340 mark. At 350 it did about the same, turning off at 410 then back on at 356 and hovering around 364 degrees.

What was interesting is what I found with the bottom oven. That one was around 50 degrees warmer. When set to 300 it turned off at 345 and stayed off according to the screen, went down to 330, then slowly kept climbing up. I quit checking it at 380 but it was still rising. I did not pull the oven back out but I checked the amp draw at the panel and found that it was drawing 6.5 amps on one phase. Now the elements should be 240V, so I'm wondering if one of the relays could be staying open and letting 120V thru, but then there shouldnt be any path back for the current since the other phase would be open.

rickgburton

Staff member
It's common for the first heat rise to overshoot the set temperature. Ovens aren't exactly precision appliances. They basically operate on averages. To get an accurate temperature reading you need to use a meter with a fast response time and not those cheap thermometers you can get at a grocery store. Set the temperature at 300° and write down the temperature the oven cycles off at. Do that four more times so you get a total of five cycles. Add the five temperatures and divide by 5. That's your average oven temperature when set to 300°. If you use the grocery store thermometers, hang the thermometer in the center of the oven, set the oven at 300° and wait 15 minutes then write down the temperature. After that write down the temperature every 15 minutes for the next 90 minutes. Add the temps and divide by the number of readings you took to get your average temp.

Oven elements are like light bulbs. They are either good or bad. Elements have different wattages so measuring the amps won't give you any useful information. The oven sensor is a variable resistor that changes value with temperature. They can fail 3 ways, open, shorted or out of range.
C-Oven Sensor.jpg

If the oven sensors test good the only thing left is the control board.

coryjames52

Premium Member
Does the control board you attached a link for control both ovens? I was taking my readings at the oven sensor with an F type thermal couple and a Klein mulitmeter. After the top oven failed at cooking dinner I took readings in front of the glass near where the food sets and I only was getting 240 when set to 350. It was very noticeable that the top oven was way cooler then the bottom one when both were set to 350. The bottom oven read about the same as before, about 380.

I would guess the bottom element in the top oven is having issues, and the bottom oven is having control board issues just going off of the readings. How often should an oven cycle on and off? I checked the sensors at room temperature earlier and got 1080 so I would say those are good.

rickgburton

Staff member
Does the control board you attached a link for control both ovens?
That's correct.
I would guess the bottom element in the top oven is having issues,
You would guess wrong. Like I said earlier, the element is either good or bad. There's no middle of the road. If the bake element gets hot, it's good.
......room temperature earlier and got 1080 so I would say those are good.
How often should an oven cycle on and off?
Doesn't matter, you're out of suspects. Element is good, oven sensor is good, and the only one left in the room is the criminal, control board.