EW30MC65J Electrolux combo oven is driving me crazy - will not keep temperature

Goffs

Premium Member
Model Number
EW30MC65J
Brand
Electrolux
This wall combo unit when preheating to 350 will heat to about 320, oven indicates preheat is complete. Then will slow lose temperature. I called local repair shop and they indicated it was the Appliance Control Board. I replace this board. The board has a part number of 3165705XX. After replacement of this board - same results. I even replaced the oven temperature probe. No luck.

Is it possible I the replacement board was also defective. I'm willing to do troubleshooting with a voltmeter if someone can tell me the procedure.

Help before I take a baseball bat to this oven. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its actual model number. If you post it we can look it up to see what appliance design you're dealing with. Without out it it is unlikely anyone will be able to assist you.

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > <a href="http://www.appliance411.com/parts/tagsearch.cgi" target="411">Model Number Tag Location Guide</a>

Dan O.

Goffs

Premium Member
This was a refurb unit and they removed all tags. What do I do now? I just opened the unit and got model number off the control board.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Without knowing the design of the appliance involved all I can suggest is to make sure the bake element is functioning ... assuming it is an electric range. We can't even tell that! :/

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Checked bake element?

MODEL NUMBER - EW30MC65J
That's part of a model number but something to go on. Possible full model numbers include EW30MC65JB1, EW30MC65JB2, EW30MC65JB3, EW30MC65JS1, EW30MC65JS2, EW30MC65JS3,EW30MC65JW1, EW30MC65JW2 and EW30MC65JW3. The B, S and W in those models I believe only refer to their colour.

Did you check the functioning of the bake element?

During preheat the bake, broil and convection element and fan are suppose to operate to get the oven up to temperature quickly. After that mainly the bake element is responsible for maintaining temperature. If the bake element wasn't functioning, the temperature would likely drop off.

If the bake element isn't functioning, the element itself could be defective or the control may not be powering it.

LINK > EW30MC65J 'Hidden' Bake Element

Last edited:

Goffs

Premium Member
I have not. Should I take out and measure resistance? I know it’s partially heating.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Yes test bake element

Should I take out and measure resistance?
Check it for sure. It doesn't necessarily need to be 'taken out' but I don't know how to go about accessing it.

BTW> I updated my previous message above to link to a picture of the type of bake element used on it.

I know it’s partially heating.
The BAKE ELEMENT is heating?? It will either heat or not, there should be no "partially".

Here's a link to the 'tech sheet' for those models. There should be one in the appliance itself, possibly in the control console... if it hasn't been removed.

LINK > EW30MC65J... Tech Sheet PDF

Dan O.

Goffs

Premium Member
What I mean by partially heating is - the oven will heat to 320 when you preheat to 350. Will not get to temperature. So I know the element is working. I eliminated the element because of this - I'm I thinking correctly. All I can think of is the relay board is still bad?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Did you test the bake element?

Goffs; said:
What I mean by partially heating is - the oven will heat to 320 when you preheat to 350. Will not get to temperature.
Many modern ranges do not preheat to the full set temperature. Manufacturers say it isn't necessary for optimum cooking and saves electricity. I do not know how your particular control is designed to operate though.

So I know the element is working. I eliminated the element because of this
As I stated previously, "During preheat the bake, broil and convection element and fan are suppose to operate to get the oven up to temperature quickly.".

Those elements without the bake element functioning would raise the oven temperature so that is NOT a sign the bake element is functioning. I suggest you not jump to conclusions but actually rule out possibilities.

I'm I thinking correctly. All I can think of is the relay board is still bad?
Once someone absolutely rules out the bake element being defective, that would point towards (but still not absolutely guaranty) the electronic control itself might be responsible.

JMO

Goffs

Premium Member
Ok. I didn’t know there was another element. All I see is one element. You are telling me there is another that is hidden. Now I will locate and check.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Goffs; said:
I didn’t know there was another element. All I see is one element. You are telling me there is another that is hidden. Now I will locate and check.
There is a bake, a broil and a convection element. The bake element is at the bottom of the oven, the broil at the top. The convection element may be at the rear of the oven. I linked to a picture of the bake element used on your model in a previous post.