• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FAFW3511KW0 Frigidaire Affinity Side Loading Washer Snagging My Clothes

bcblackmer

Premium Member
Model Number
FAFW3511KW0
Brand
Frigidaire
In the past few months, my washer has started snagged my clothes, particularly my more fragile (and thus expensive) items.

The washer came with the house, and we've been here for 4.5 years. This has been going on for 6-8 months.

We've been living with it and putting the fragile clothes in protective wash bags, but it's getting to be quite annoying.

I've run my hands on the interior of the washer and I don't feel anything sharp.

It could be when we wash clothes with zippers, but it still happens when we don't, so I don't think it's related. It also happens when the washer is half full, so I don't believe it's connected to how full we make it.

I'm wondering if this is a known issue and something fixable, or if we need to get a new washer.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its likely the rear outer tub bearing is starting to go out and that will cause the inner tub to snag clothes.

A new outer tub assembly is about $400, so yes with the age of your machine it would be better to go washer shopping.

We recommend Speed Queen, Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana washers.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help!

Jake

bcblackmer

Premium Member
Hey Jake,

I found another clue to this, but it created another question.

IMG_1302.jpg

I was feeling around one the baffles, and I found something sharp to the touch. I took a photo of it, and it seems to be a very small piece of metal that's sticking out from underneath the baffle. I tried to pull it out with some tweezers, but it wouldn't come out, although it was moveable.

The thing is, I don't know what it could be. Based on this helpful video (
), I don't think there should be anything underneath the baffle that would be sharp like this. Can you think of anything?

This seems like a good find as it's fixable, but now I'm wondering how to fix it.

The baffle seems fine, so if I follow the video to remove the baffle and see what's under there, I would just need a screw to reattach the baffle.

It seems like I need this screw:

But I'm wondering if this is a special screw of if you know what standard screw size it would be.

Anything else come to mind? Thanks in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good find!

Yes, that is your baffle screw. I believe it's a phillips head screw, or a square head screw.

Here's the drum baffle for your model:
Remove the baffle and get that metal out.:)

To Remove the baffle: Remove the two screws at the rear of the main top and slide the main top back toward the wall. Lift it from the unit and you will see the screws that retain the baffles on the outside of the spin basket. Remove these and the baffle will fall into the spin basket. To re-install, hold the baffle in while looking at the outside of the spin basket to align the holes. Insert the screws and turn the spin basket by hand to access the next baffle.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

bcblackmer

Premium Member
Thanks Jake!

There currently aren't any screws that I can see holding the baffle in. According to the video above, I'm thinking I have to push down the tabs in the center of the baffle, and then I'd need a replacement screw to secure the baffle back in. Does that sound right?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it's been way too many years since I removed a baffle on this model.:)

If there is not screws, then push the tabs down and slide it either to the left or right and it should drop.:)

Yes, the parts diagram says it takes a screw, the one you posted above.:)

Jake

bcblackmer

Premium Member
Ha!

I really appreciate the comments. Have you done the tabs before? They look slightly challenging.

I'm going to order the screw now.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, but like I said it's been more than 10 years ago. But I remember it sliding out to remove it now.

That video you posted above should be similar to yours.

Jake