FAFW4011LW Affinity washer killing control boards, model FAFW4011LW

fciron

Premium Member
Model Number
FAFW4011LW
Brand
Frigidaire
This began with the machine not starting. Error code was EA3 - low voltage, voltage checked out fine at the plug and at the board. Installed a new board and got error E41 for the door switch. A peek inside the door switch showed a broken wire in the locking mechanism. New for switch installed and original control board put back in the machine.

Plugged the machine in and there was a "pop" noise and it didn't turn on, so I put the new control board in. Plugged it in, machine came on and a load of laundry was started.

The machine shut down during that first load and is dead again, no lights, no nothing. Not wanting to just fry another board, I've been looking for a short or other fault that could have caused this.

Examination of the original board for hints looks like there is damage associated with the relay in the RL2 position. I cannot follow the traces to the connectors, so I don't know what functions it's associated with.

I checked the resistance of all the component's listed on the tech sheet. All three motor windings have a resistance of 3.4 ohms while the tech sheet specifies 5.3 ohms. This got my attention and I found that two of the winding connections show some connection to ground when I turned the motor by hand. I don't have experience with these motors to know if that is normal.

I suppose the next step would be to install a new board and run the diagnostics before starting the machine, but I will take any help I cam get at this point.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

M5 to M6 on the motor should be 118 ohms, please check that one to see if your getting 118 ohms. 3.4 ohms is quite a bit lower than the 5.3 ohms you should be reading.

Also ohm test all the motor terminals to your cabinet ground to see if you get continuity.

Here's the motor for your model:
134638900 Motor

Jake

fciron

Premium Member
Thanks Jake.

The tach pins on the motor are correct to the letter, 118. There is some continuity to ground with two of the motor pins when I turn the motor by hand.

I am taking my readings from the end of the motor cable, not the pins inside the motor. There is no visible damage to the harness and it's a lot easier than trying to see the pins and the meter at the same time. I should probably get some clips for the meter.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Take that wire harness off the motor connector and see if you notice any burnt spots there.

Jake

fciron

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

The wiring harness looks good.

I am using a different meter today and I cannot replicate the connection to ground from motor terminals or from the reattached wiring harness. I think the previous readings to ground may have been meter or user error.

I don't like the low winding resistance, but it is consistent across all three terminals.

What is our next move, please?

Lewis

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know the next move, this problem is very unusual, and I haven't run across this problem myself as of yet.

I'd recommend having Frigidaire come out to see what's going on.

Unless you want to keep replacing more parts which I don't recommend.:)

Jake

fciron

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake.

I really appreciate your taking the time to work through this with me. I'm sorry we couldn't report a success.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sorry I couldn't do more, but this problem is extremely rare, its not a simple fix.

Jake