Fan motor getting noisy and uses sealed bearings with no lube ports

cwatkin

Premium Member
Model
FAS257S2A
Brand
Frigidaire
I hate that everything seems to be made more and more throwaway these days and I guess window AC units, even larger and more costly ones, are basically made to be trashed. I have a couple 25,000 BTU units. Both use the same compressor and fan motor although the model of the units varies slightly and there are minor variances in the controls and cosmetics of the units. I have replaced run capacitors in both units as well when the compressors started to exhibit hard-start problems (humming and tripping breakers, etc.). This solved that problem and these units are both over 10 years old so I am guessing I have met or exceeded their design life, being consumer grade appliances.

The fan motor on one has started to sound somewhat gravelly so I assume that means the bearings are nearing the end of their life. They are sealed with no oil ports. Everything is still working but I figure this thing is going to give it up one of these days. Odds are the sound will just get worse until it stops or I get sick of hearing it. It isn't really anything big right now and isn't even annoying. It is just that I can tell it is getting a tad noisier. Is there anything I can do to extend the life of this motor? It has been suggested that I take a hyperdermic needle and inject a small quantity of oil through the bearing seals. I could access one bearing but the other would pretty much require disassembly of the entire unit to access.

It looks like a new fan motor would cost about half of a new unit. There is no way I would do this, especially on a unit this old, considering something else might not be far behind. I would also be concerned about damaging something else, especially with all the plastic parts now old and brittle.

I am assuming the answer everyone will give me is to just run the unit until failure and then replace it. Should I keep any spare parts for the other unit when it dies or just scrap the entire thing? I figure I am best to just start over new if the fan motor stops.

Conor

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Conor ,

Yes, that motor is over $300 here: FAS257S2A Parts

Unfortunately, there's no where to lube it.

It has been suggested that I take a hypodermic needle and inject a small quantity of oil through the bearing seals. I could access one bearing
I've never heard of that, but its worth a try.:)

It that doesn't lube it nothing will, I'd just scrap it and get a new window A/C.

Jake

cwatkin

Premium Member
Thanks. I figured that would be the answer but wanted to check with those who know more than I do. I actually couldn't hear it growl at all today but we all know it will eventually return. I figure I will run it until the sound gets annoying or I can tell it is really about done for.

The good news is that I have greatly improved the insulation in my place and now feel I could get by with a far smaller unit. I think going down in size is a good idea as I can tell this thing is cycling on and off way more often than it should as it has become oversized with the improvement in the insulation. I have a couple 5000btu units sitting around as spares and will put one of those in and see if that can do it but suspect I will need something at least twice that big.

I work on electronics for a living and see just how disposable those are made these days. Nothing is made to be repaired these days.

Thanks again,

Conor

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Model: FAS257S2A
There should be another 2 characters at the end of the model number. eg. FAS257S2A__ __
The various models use at least 2 different motors. The complete model number is needed to determine which exact part is used.

Also, are there any identification numbers on the motor itself? That a/c unit may have been made by a 3rd party. It might be possible to source a replacement motor more directly from the actual manufacture and cut out the middle man, possibly saving some $$$. Post any numbering (or a pic of any labels) on the motor and we'll see if there might be an alternate supplier for it before you give up on repair.

Dan O.