Fan stays on about 30 secs only

jenna43221

Premium Member
imported post

My GE side by side the fan only stays on for about 30 seconds then shuts off so it doesn't get cold enough to store food what do i do?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
imported post

Hi,

Model#?

http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html- Some model# helps.

**the fan only stays on for about 30 seconds then shuts off **

Fan in the freezer or the fan under the refrigerator beside the compressor? The evaporator fan motor, condensor fan motor and compressor should run at the same time and shut off at the same time, is this happening?

jeff.

jenna43221

Premium Member
imported post

I am not sure of the model number but it is a ge profile. It is the fan under the fridge next to the compressor i am not sure but i think that the compressor runs when the fan does kick on. the compressor gets really hot...

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

jenna43221 wrote:
I am not sure of the model number but it is a ge profile.
That name doesn't help.

There is an identification tag on the appliance with both the model and serial number on it. You can find tips for where that tag will be located at the following link or at the link Jeff supplied previously.

LINK > Model Tag Search

i think that the compressor runs when the fan does kick on. the compressor gets really hot...
Determining *for certain* if the compressor is running or not is needed for any kind of diagnosis. If the compressor is just trying to start not not actually succeeding, it would result in the compressor getting hotter than normal and could eventually damage the compressor (if not already the cause) if let continue in that fashion (clicking on and off).

If the compressor is clicking on and off and not actually starting up, power should be disconnected from the appliance until the compressor has fully cooled. If the compressor doesn't start up after that, leave it disconnected until it can be serviced.

JMO

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~

jenna43221

Premium Member
imported post

It turns out the compressor stays on the entire time when i unplug the fridge and let it cool down it will work completely normal for up to 16 hours then goes back to being warm and the fan only staying on a short time...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Hi,

From what you are saying, it does sound like your condenser fan motor may be going out.

If you try to turn your condenser fan motor by hand when its stopped, but the compressor is running, does it want to start going?

Jake