FIXED FAV6800AWW Maytag Neptune, Timer Problem

4Roxy

Premium Member
Model Number
FAV6800AWW
Brand
Maytag
I have a Maytag Neptune Top Load washer, model# FAV6800AWW. 5-years old.

My countdown timer is stuck at the 33-minute level in the "wash cycle", and repeatedly runs for a 30-40 seconds, then stops, then runs, then stops, and repeats until I either press stop or unplug. The lid is locked.

If I unplug for 10 minutes, the lock opens. I can program a new cycle to wash, press start and the wash cycle starts (no draining occurred) and counts down to 33-minutes again, and the process starts all over as described above. (No Error messages, as I have seen in other posts such as 33 & ND) just the number "33" constantly displayed.

Any suggestions? I really need to do a load of wash.

Thanks for any help,

Roxy

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Dick should be here soon and can possibly assist you on this issue.

Jake

4Roxy

Premium Member
Thank you Jake,

I believe I've found the problem, something called a "Motor Control Assembly", with a part number of 25001079.

If this is the actual problem, I have to scramble to try to find this part in a local area where I can pick it up, instead of wating on a slow delivery period.

Any suggestions on parts, and the best, fastest way to get what's needed?

Thanks again for your help Jake.

Roxy

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Roxy,

Unfortunately I know nothing about this model about to assist you, Dick knows quite a bit.

Jake

quik-fixit

Premium Member
Have you found the diagnostic sheet in the console ( or inside front panel ?? ) and run a diagnostic test ?? I.E. quick test ??? It may help you narrow it down a bit.

dh1200s

Hey Roxy,

I just got home from work I will try to help.

Here is the link to the FAV6800A/FAV9800A Service Manual from the Sticky Neptune TL Washer FAV6800AWW 5 post down. ; FAV6800A/FAV9800A Service manual . There should be a troubleshooting guide in the Console as quick-fixit mentioned if it hasn’t been removed. I would recommend the Service Manual in the above link it has much more detail. I know you are in a hurry to get your wash done. How much down time can you tolerate to troubleshoot?

On the right back side of the Console is the Model number/Serial number tag. Can you tell us the first two digits of you serial number. The range will be 10, 11, 12 up to 18. This is the series number of your FAV6800A.

What troubleshooting led you to replacing the Motor Controller as the fail point?

“”I believe I've found the problem, something called a "Motor Control Assembly", with a part number of Whirlpool 25001079 Motor Control Assy

I don’t recommend a parts buy until you try to narrow down the fail point with some troubleshooting. I know you are trying to get the machine back in service ASAP and it’s up to you if you want to throw some parts in. If the parts vendor has a no questions asked return policy you could do that and troubleshoot while waiting for parts to come in..... your call.

With no error code displayed we need to start some troubleshooting. I would print out the Service Manual for starters.

I think from your failure description you may be failing at the start of the first Spin Cycle of the wash cycle selected. Do you make it through the wash cycle? Do you have an indication from the Cycle Status Led if you are in Wash Cycle, Rinse or Spin Cycle?

For a failure of this type I like to set the machine settings to Quick Wash with minimal setting for Soil Level and Spin settings. That helps me better understand where in the wash cycle we start the issue.

This would be my first step in troubleshooting;

With no wash load in the wash basket can you go to page 14 of the Service Manual and place the machine in Service Mode. You will see how to do that on page 14 left hand side of the page.

Once in Service Mode can you do the Quick Spin Test on page 14 and let’s see if the wash basket will step thru the Spin Cycle RPM ranges up to "85." indicated on the LED console which equals 850 RPM the fastest spin speed for this model.

Can you let us know the fastest RPM reached and if you pass the test.

See this post ; Neptune TL Spinning Issue Will Not Proceed

I'm not sure you have the same issue. I did a lot of off line troubleshooting via e-mail with this person. I like to stay on the forum after that post so everyone can see the action steps taken for trouble resoultion which was Outer Tub bearing drag. I talked this forum member thru an Outer Tub Bearing replacement to solve his issue. I'm not saying that is your issue but we need to do some up-front troubleshooting.

Let's try the above checks and test and see what we have…….Dick

Last edited:

4Roxy

Premium Member
Maytag Neptune TL timer problem, HELP?

Hello Dick

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my original post last Friday 03/04/11 at 11:00pm

It’s now Monday, 03/07/11 at about 10:50pm

Answers to your questions by the numbers:

1)I have downloaded the service manual

2)I don’t understand what you mean when you stated “there should be a troubleshooting guide in the Console as quick-fixit” Does that mean I am supposed to unbolt the console from the machine base and look for it inside the console? That doesn’t make any sense to me.

3)The first two digits of my Maytag Neptune TL washer are: 16

4)Last Friday, when I originally posted, and did not get any kind of answer from this forum after several hours that could help me out with my original question, I went to an appliance repair forum online, where I posted my washer’s problem, and for a fee received back and forth Q&A’s to my situation, and it was there that the situation was diagnosed as the problem being a faulty “Motor Control Assembly” that needed replacement. So I searched online for a price and delivery date that worked for me. If their diagnosis is wrong, monies will be refunded………….but that would be a pain in my butt if their diagnosis is wrong. We’ll see, the part is supposed to arrive to me tomorrow on Tuesday, however I can still cancel if you can determine the problem is not a faulty Motor Control Assembly?

5)Upon entering the “service mode” as spelled out in the service manual, the only thing I could "originally" get the machine to do is to turn on the drain pump, which drained all the water from the tub, then I was able to turn the drain off. Then I press start and started up in normal mode again to see what would happen. Same events occurred, countdown to “33”, then it stays there, starting, stopping, starting, stopping. So I drained again, then start a normal cycle all over. Per your advice now, I entered service mode, again, and cannot perform any of the test functions spelled out in the service manual, except with a tub full of water, it appears the numbers are now showing an RPM number while it’s in wash cycle. It gets up to 56, then slows down, counts down to zero, then gets back up to 56. I tried all the other button pushing combinations but nothing works now, and I can’t get into drain mode. I can press off, and the door does now immediately unlock like it is supposed to. But now I cant’ drain it as I was able to do previously in service mode. So I have a tub full of water now. Maybe if I unplug for 1/2-hour or so, it may allow a drain in service mode?

6)My problem occurs and stays in “wash mode”. Never gets to spin mode at all.

7)Followed your advice, started in “quick mode”, and the same problem occurs identically as in the prior normal mode condition. However in quick mode, as opposed to normal mode, the problem occurs at the countdown timer number of “24” and then just stays there versus the number of “33” in normal mode. Other than 24 versus 33, the problem is the same as noted in my original post.

8) Now, tried unplugging, and still can't drain in service mode, and tub is full.

dh1200s

1)I have downloaded the service manual

Good deal

2)I don’t understand what you mean when you stated “there should be a troubleshooting guide in the Console as quick-fixit” Does that mean I am supposed to unbolt the console from the machine base and look for it inside the console? That doesn’t make any sense to me.

I was referring to the other forum member post in this thread to help you. My statement “”There should be a troubleshooting guide in the Console as quick-fixit mentioned if it hasn’t been removed.””
<o:p</o
As I stated the Service manual has much more detail then the troubleshooting guide in the Console if it hasn’t been removed by the owner or a service technician.
Does that mean I am supposed to unbolt the console from the machine base and look for it inside the console?
The Troubleshooting guide has the schematic for the machine along with some troubleshooting info for basic support. You have to remove the three #15 torx screws on top of the console and you could pry slightly open to access. If you see it and can’t reach in then remove the bottom three 5/16” sheet metal screws to completely remove the Console back cover completely. Safety first, remove the washer 120VAC Power cord form 120VAC service outlet.
3)The first two digits of my Maytag Neptune TL washer are: 16
Good deal that is the series of you washer a Series 16 version of the FAV6800A machine. That tells me what variation Clutch Pulley and Outer Tub design if a Outer Tub bearing rebuild is required. Outer Tub bearing replacement for the Series 12 and above machines is bit more challenging. It can be done by anyone with basic mechanical skill sets and can tolerate the down time. The Series 16 machine was my original purchase around 5/05. I also have internet buy machines a Series 10 and 17 machines the Series 17 is now the primary everyday machine the Series 10 machine is a dedicated test bed machine. As I said this is a Hobby (serious one) for me.

4)Last Friday, when I originally posted, and did not get any kind of answer from this forum after several hours that could help me out with my original question, I went to an appliance repair forum online, where I posted my washer’s problem, and for a fee received back and forth Q&A’s to my situation, and it was there that the situation was diagnosed as the problem being a faulty “Motor Control Assembly” that needed replacement. So I searched online for a price and delivery date that worked for me. If their diagnosis is wrong, monies will be refunded………….but that would be a pain in my butt if their diagnosis is wrong. We’ll see, the part is supposed to arrive to me tomorrow on Tuesday, however I can still cancel if you can determine the problem is not a faulty Motor Control Assembly?

I provide support as a knowledgeable owner, I visit the site when time provides from my full time job and other daily life issues. This TL had a very short production run and there are not a lot of folks out there with everyday hands on knowledge of the machine. Did the for a fee repair forum get you into service mode for any checks?

I’m no expert repair technician I’m a technician in the Telecomm Ind. This is a hobby for me but I have a very decent track record on four other forums for fix actions on the FAV6800A and FAV9800A from Outer Tub bearing replacement to troubleshooting issues with the Control Board for both the LED and LCD flavor of the machine. The Motor Controller and Control Board failures do require most times a part swap to nail the fail point. The Washer Motor seems to be bullet proof and I guess that's why a 10yr warranty on it.
We’ll see, the part is supposed to arrive to me tomorrow on Tuesday, however I can still cancel if you can determine the problem is not a faulty Motor Control Assembly?

With out in depth troubleshooting I can’t diagnose this issue. My philosophy is to troubleshoot as far as I can before a parts buy, having known good parts on hand as I do help. You did the right thing for your parts buy with solid return policy. If you slap the Motor Controller in and it does not correct the issue you can return with just a delay to trouble resolution if you decide to work toward a fix action.<o:p</o

Last edited:

dh1200s

2nd of my long winded post;<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
5)Upon entering the “service mode” as spelled out in the service manual, the only thing I could "originally" get the machine to do is to turn on the drain pump, which drained all the water from the tub, then I was able to turn the drain off. Then I press start and started up in normal mode again to see what would happen. Same events occurred, countdown to “33”, then it stays there, starting, stopping, starting, stopping. So I drained again, then start a normal cycle all over. Per your advice now, I entered service mode, again, and cannot perform any of the test functions spelled out in the service manual, except with a tub full of water, it appears the numbers are now showing an RPM number while it’s in wash cycle. It gets up to 56, then slows down, counts down to zero, then gets back up to 56. I tried all the other button pushing combinations but nothing works now, and I can’t get into drain mode. I can press off, and the door does now immediately unlock like it is supposed to. But now I cant’ drain it as I was able to do previously in service mode. So I have a tub full of water now. Maybe if I unplug for 1/2-hour or so, it may allow a drain in service mode?
So you enter the Quick Spin Test on page 14 of the SM and the test will not run? I’m focusing in on possible increased Outer Tub bearing drag as a possible fail point for your issue. <O:p</O:p
If you could do this quick test. Can you open the lid of the washer and spin the wash basket CCW the spin direction with one finger. The wash basket should rotate CCW with very little resistance, then spin the wash basket as fast as you can by hand CCW and release. The wash basket should coast down to gentle stop after several revolutions. I’m trying to get a feel for possible increased Outer Tub Bearing drag.<O:p</O:p
6)My problem occurs and stays in “wash mode”. Never gets to spin mode at all.<O:p</O:p
Understand
7)Followed your advice, started in “quick mode”, and the same problem occurs identically as in the prior normal mode condition. However in quick mode, as opposed to normal mode, the problem occurs at the countdown timer number of “24” and then just stays there versus the number of “33” in normal mode. Other than 24 versus 33, the problem is the same as noted in my original post.<O:p</O:p
Understand ""Quick Wash" is where I normally test for fail to spin wash settings. Your FAV6800A is failing as it enters into the 1st Spin Cycle of the wash cycle. The Cycle Status LED will indicate "Wash". Can you start another Quick Wash cycle? After the water fill is completed can you release the washer top from the base as described shown on page 33 and 40 of the SM. Do not raise the washer top from the base during the water fill part of the wash cycle If you do water will spray out of the machine. Only raise the washer top high enough to observe the wash cycle as it enters into the first spin cycle just before 24 indicated on the LED display. If you observe the tumbler action I feel you will see the tumblers rotating and stop as you enter the 1st spin cycle 23 or 24 on the LED display of your console. If you can observe this action as you enter into this 1st spin cycle and pass on your observations. Will the wash basket spin CCW at all as it tries to spin up CCW at that part of the wash cycle?
8) Now, tried unplugging, and still can't drain in service mode, and tub is full.<O:p</O:p
We should be able to turn on the Drain Pump as described in SM. Do you hear the drain pump run when you turn it on from the console in SM?

I leave for work around 3PM daily East Coast Tue thru Sat. So I'm off line until around 01:00AM.

Dick<O:p</O:p

Last edited:

4Roxy

Premium Member
Thanks Dick, you are the best!

Hello Again Dick,

I want to start by saying that you are the Best I've ever encountered. Wow, I've never come across anyone that is willing to take the time to troubleshoot like you have. Thank you very much.

My part is scheduled to be delivered in a couple of hours. I will install it, and post back to you the results as soon as possible.

As of my last post as I noted, I cannot get the machine to drain in service mode as I was able to previously. Don't know why. The only thing that I can do now is "unplug" and after about a 1/2-hour I replug, press start, and the timer has reset to 44-minutes, as if it were starting all over again in the "normal" mode. Since the tub is full of water already, it does not fill anymore, but begins to agitate as if starting a normal wash mode.

This process goes back and forth, that is agitate, stop, agitate, stop, until the timer reaches the point in my very first post, "33", then it hangs there, agitate, stop, agitate stop, etc etc......with no further countdown on the timer.

It was here that I originally was able to enter service mode, and perform the drain function. However, after I tried to run the machine in a "quick wash mode", (and ended up with the same results as in normal mode) now for some reason I can't perform the drain mode.

I do not hear the drain running as you recently asked me. No sound at all.

The only thing that appears to happen is that when in this constant state of agitate, stop, agitate, stop, when I do enter service mode, I can see the timer appears to be showing the RPM of the drum I think? Numbers go from around 56 and slow down to Zero, then back up as part of the agitate, stop....cycle repeats itself.

As I was stating earlier, when I do enter service mode, I cannot perform the force drain, or the quick spin test, however I can get various numbers and symbols to show if I press either Wrinkle Control, or Super Wash, or Bulky Items. Other than that, when I press the other buttons I just get several beeps but nothing is displayed and no action occurs with the machine.

Don’t know if this provides you with any better insight to the problem at hand or not?

Thanks again Dick for your time and help.

Last edited:

dh1200s

Hey Roxy

“”My part is scheduled to be delivered in a couple of hours. I will install it, and post back to you the results as soon as possible.””

OK slap it in but I’m concerned that you can’t get into Service Mode. This is a new wrinkle in troubleshooting of the original problem.

I see you on line…..I assume if you hit the Off Key pad then hit a Spin Only Cycle nothing will happen. Not sure if you tried that. Can you give it a quick try and report back? I have to pull the plug on you shortly and get ready for work…..Dick

4Roxy

Premium Member
Hey Dick,

I will try that, and report back ASAP.

Question?....Since my tub is full, when I go to replace my part, is there anything special I need to be aware of other than the installation install instructions listed in the service manual?

Or is it as easy as following the instructions as detailed?

Will everything reset by itself? (if this part is the correct fix) Or do I need to do anything special after I install the part, such as any special start up procedures to clear or reset past settings?

Thanks again Dick

4Roxy

Premium Member
follow-up to Dicks last question of (press "off", then "spin")

Hi Dick,

Okay, per your last request:

While the machine is in it's wash mode, counting down to the timer number of "33" where it hangs per my original post,

If I hit "Off" then "Spin", what happens is everything stops, the door unlocks, and the number "12" is displayed.

dh1200s

Or is it as easy as following the instructions as detailed?””

I would just follow the SM on pages 47 and 48.

“”If I hit "Off" then "Spin", what happens is everything stops, the door unlocks, and the number "12" is displayed.”” Very interesting, I don’t know if you ever did a Spin Only cycle but 12 is the number (count down timer minutes) that the LED display for a Spin Only time on all three of my machines.

Why can't we get into Service Mode is my concern, Control Board issue?

""Will everything reset by itself? (if this part is the correct fix) Or do I need to do anything special after I install the part, such as any special start up procedures to clear or reset past settings?""

Saftey first unplug the washer I know you will do that.

I wish I could be more hopeful with the Motor Control Board replacement but lets slap that puppy in and give it a try.

I got to pull the plug for now but I will check back in........Dick

Last edited:

4Roxy

Premium Member
new part installation upcoming

Hello Dick,

Much apprciated,

Now, about 12:45pm PST, will be installing my Motor Control Assembly part in an hour or so.

I will report back here once installed.

Thanks again.

Roxy
03/08/11

4Roxy

Premium Member
Hi Dick,

Now about 11:15pm PST.

I installed the part, and no luck.

Same problem as described before. I can't believe a washer was built that requires experimenting with parts to get the correct fix. This is ridiculous.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

dh1200s

Hey Roxy good morning,

“”I can't believe a washer was built that requires experimenting with parts to get the correct fix.””

Roxy I know this is frustrating for you and I don’t like to experiment either.

From my 1st post….. post #6

“”I don’t recommend a parts buy until you try to narrow down the fail point with some troubleshooting. I know you are trying to get the machine back in service ASAP and it’s up to you if you want to throw some parts in. If the parts vendor has a no questions asked return policy you could do that and troubleshoot while waiting for parts to come in..... your call.””

Narrowing down the fail point or getting close to the point of failure can be challenging from a distance for me, I refer to it as troubleshooting with a 1000 mile long screwdriver. Your three TZ's form me so I need the 3K mile driver extension. I won’t pull the plug on working toward a fix if you want to continue.

I like to have a feel for the owner’s tolerance for down time.

Also from post #6 “”How much down time can you tolerate to troubleshoot?“”

So if you want to continue let’s please nail down getting into Service Mode. I want to rule out a new issue with the Console Control Board. I’m going to give you step by step instructions and I need feedback from you on the process.

Getting into Service Mode can be a little tricky with the simultaneously key press required of both the Enviro Plus and Spin key.

To get into Service Mode hold down simultaneously both Enviro Plus and Spin Only keys for three seconds or until the control console beeps. The LED display will show "00". Did you get into Service Mode with that key press combination?

If so we need to press the Delicates Key Pad to enter into Board Output Test. The LED display will now change to ""ot"" something like that for Output Test and the lid locks will lock.

Now let's turn on the drain pump with this next key pad press while in service mode;

Press the Presoak key pad….. did the drain pump turn on?

If so press the Presoak key pad again and the drain pump should turn off its a toggle function to turn on and off the drain pump.

If we could turn on and off the drain pump and after you have dumped the excess water press the [/B]Off button. It should only take the Control Board 45 seconds to a minute to unlock the washer. How long did it take for your machine to unlock the lid?

Try some other functions if you want to exercise the Lid Locks, Water Inlet valves, you need to turn on the Cold Water inlet valve first to flow water to the dispensers valves, the Bleach and Fabric Softer water valves. I’m trying to get a feel for the health of the Console Main Control Board.

I never got an answer to this question post #9;

“”If you could do this quick test. Can you open the lid of the washer and spin the wash basket Counterclock Wise the spin direction with one finger. The wash basket should rotate CCW with very little resistance, then spin the wash basket as fast as you can by hand CCW and release. The wash basket should coast down to gentle stop after several revolutions. I’m trying to get a feel for possible increased Outer Tub Bearing drag.”

I know we have to dump the excess water from the tub and I’m hoping you can get into Service Mode to do that.

I feel your issue could be caused by Outer Tub Bearing drag and I’m trying to get a feel for possible increased bearing drag/resistance to rotation of the wash basket/Spinner Support. Note the wash basket should never rotate in the CW direction. I’m not ruling out a Console Control Board issue other componet issue we just need more troubleshooting.

I wish there was a magic bullet/crystal ball/Vulcan Mind Meld to speed up the repair resolution. But it always comes down to troubleshooting and it is very painful while the laundry piles up and you go hunting for quarters.

You could swap out the Main Console Control Board, the Drive Motor and still have the same issue. Sometimes it is a must to swap out components but I don't feel we are at that point just yet. I'm concerned about Outer Tub bearing drag and those components play no role in a fix action if that is the issue. And as I mentioned what is key is how much down time can you tolerate before you pull the plug on the DIY repair process.

If you want to hop on the phone and try to speed the process up a bit just send me an PM for my contact info. I leave for work around 3:00pm East Coast time.

If there are any Service Techs or other FAV6800A/FAV9800A owners following this thread please jump in for support/suggestions. I may be overlooking the obvious root cause of this issue and delaying Roxy’s return to service……..Dick

Last edited:

4Roxy

Premium Member
Hello Dick,

Thanks for putting up with me. I know you know your stuff, what's dangerous is I know nothing.

Let's continue on........Needed a little sleep to get over the frustration from yesterday's part not working.

First thing today, I want to remove the new part, and get it returned for a refund ASAP. Currently still in the machine.

Okay, to your questions:

1) Just now I plugged the machine back in, pressed start and the machine is still full of water, and currently in the "stuck and ongoing" quick wash mode.......... I attempted to enter SM.......

2) Followed your instructions, pressed Enviro Plus & Spin Only simultaneously.....I hear "three" quick beeps......and instantly the display shows what I think is the RPM of the machine as it is in the wash cycle. 56, down to 20 to 0 and back up to 56 as the wash cycle continues.

3) Per your instructions, I then press Delicates and nothing happens. I cannot get the "ot" to display as I was able to do the first time I entered service mode several days ago.

Next? ? ?

4Roxy

Premium Member
Dick,

Some extra info I observe.

When in SV, while I cannot the ot to show by pressing Delicates, If I press Quick Wash, I can get the Wash-Rinse-Spin-Complete lights to flash through each cycle.

Wash, gets the tub to fill with even more water than it has in it now, so I cycle quickly to the next.....
Rinse, does nothing
Spin, never spins,
Complete, clears all the lights as if the cycle was complete.

If I press Bulky, I get a display of "03."

If I press Super Wash, I get what looks like "in"

Then I have to unplug, door unlocks, and I start all over.

dh1200s

“”Followed your instructions, pressed Enviro Plus & Spin Only simultaneously.....I hear "three" quick beeps......and instantly the display shows what I think is the RPM of the machine as it is in the wash cycle. 56, down to 20 to 0 and back up to 56 as the wash cycle continues.””
Let’s make sure I’m on the same page with you for machine status prior to entering SM.

Press the OFF button/key the machine is OFF no LED’s displayed correct?

Now press the Enviro Plus & Spin Only simultaneously after three beeps the display should read “00” does it or does the machine take off with (RPM indicated) as the machine motor RPM cycles up cycles up and down ….. if it does that’s an issue.

Yep get you Motor Controller RMA going.....Dick<O:p</O:p

Last edited: