FIXED FAV6800AWW Neptune Freeze Up

jgadinme

Premium Member
Model Number
FAV6800AWW
Brand
Maytag
Last night the door blew open to my laundry room and I had a freeze up. Now hot water comes out the detergent dispenser water valve when I pressurize the water line. It doesn't matter if the unit has power or not. There are no visible cracks, leaks or obvious damage. Should I start with replacing the inlet valve or the dispenser valve?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

jgadinme

Premium Member
Jake-
I'm sorry if I high jacked that other thread- I'm new at this
Yes mine is the model FAV6800AWW. I also noticed that in the "Use and Care Manuel" that to store this machine in freezing tempatures you just unhook the water supply and tip it backwards. I am I correct to assume that this means little or no water stays in the pump at the bottom of the unit? And therefore the pump might be OK? Thank you so much for your help.
-John

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes John, possibly, I'm unable to help you with this model, never worked on it before.

dh1200s aka Dick knows a lot about these models, he should be online soon. Or you can message him and show him your thread link here.

Jake

dh1200s

Hey John welcome to the Forum I own a few of these and will try to help.

Have you stored the machine in freezing temp’s in the past?

I read the Cold Weather Storage in the Use & Care section of the Service Manual and I really can’t speak to that process and if its a bullet proof method for cold weather storage. I would still be concerned that some residual water would remain in the drain pump and run the risk of freezing and possibly cracking the Drain Pump Housing.

If I had to do this I would lay the machine back side down on a piece of 4*4 just below the drain pipe exit then place 4*4 doubled up with a 2*4 at the washer base to give a couple of inches of tilt angle to help ensure that as much wash water as possible would gravity drain out of the drain pump.

The Drain Pump and Pressure switch mounted on top of the Drain Pump are mounted on the right rear side of the machine see Pick below. I have the tub removed during Outer Tub bearing replacement work and you can see the drain pump location. It’s a real pain to work on for me. Also a pic of the drain pump opend up.

The problem you reported seemed to be a stuck open water inlet valve allowing hot water to flow into the machine. Is that still an issue?

Attachments

jgadinme

Premium Member
Dick-
Thanks for your post. The machine has never been cold before. As far as I have gotten is the water inlet valve, which appears to be stuck open. The machine was exposed to extreme cold, but what is interesting is none of the plastic valves, fittings, or hoses show any sign of damage. The only symptom of damage is hot water pouring in uncontrolably.
I do not plan on exposing the machine to the cold again. I am just hoping that when the machine pumped out at the end of it's last cycle that little or no water was left in the pump. I can not see any damage but as you know it's hard to get a good look at it from the top.
Thanks again,
John

dh1200s

John,

Many folks have had the stuck open water inlet valve under normal home temps. It can make for a very bad day if you start the load and leave the house. A stuck pressure switch can cause the same over fill condition. Jake can help you with the replacement water inlet valve It's an easy fix.......Dick

jgadinme

Premium Member
I just replaced the water inlet valve and that solved the problem. The pump was unaffected. I'd say I dodged a bullet on this one.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:)

Here's the water inlet valve for your model in case others with your same model# need to order it:
Manufacturer's Number: 12002242

Jake