• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FCM16DLCWW General Electric chest freezer too cold, sounds alarm, thermistor stuck in well

dashriprok

Appliance Tech
Model Number
FCM16DLCWW
Brand
GE
General Electric chest freezer temp alarm keeps going off even though unit is running at -15. Changed electronic control and unit still sounds the alarm. Tried to remove thermistor from well but it wouldn't pull out. I was afraid to pull so hard that I would break the old one and really be screwed. Should I just pull harder? Any other thoughts?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Tried to remove thermistor from well but it wouldn't pull out. I was afraid to pull so hard that I would break the old one and really be screwed. Should I just pull harder?

Best suggestion that I have is to open the lid and defrost the freezer for a minimum of 24 hours and then try to remove the sensor.

jeff sr.

dashriprok

Appliance Tech
That's a good suggestion, thawing out the unit.

I also had a thought that perhaps the freon charge is low. The thermistor is in a well that's nearly at the bottom of the freezer, right next to the compressor. If the thermistor is sensing close to a cooling tube, then a low refrigerant charge could cause a "warm" spot, or at least the electronic control thinks its too warm, thus running all the time and running too cold. Unit is currently running at -15F.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Unlikely a low refrigerant charge would allow the freezer to get close to -15F.

JMO!

jeff sr.