FIXED FDE436RES2 - Motor stops mid cycle

theflyerfly

Premium Member
Model Number
FDE436RES2
Brand
Frigidaire
Hello all.

This dryer shuts off after just a couple minutes at most no matter what mode I have it running in. When it does shut down, it seems to stutter, meaning it seems the power dies and then comes right back again before finally shutting off.

I have run the dryer in cool down and it still does it. Also removed the drum belt from the motor immediately after a shut down and it still stopped. I can restart the motor with the cycle start button, but unless I give it a few minutes, it will stop as soon as I release the button.

I am leaning toward a bad motor, but wanted to float the scenario here to see if I missed anything. Thoughts?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Motor overheating?

I am leaning toward a bad motor
It is common for dryer motors to overheat and cut out on their internal overload protector when they fail. Normally they won't start running again unless left to cool for several minutes to let the overload protector reset. In such a case if the motor is not just plugged up with lint and dust, etc. causing it to overheat, it usually needs to be replaced.

I've never heard of still being able to run the motor while holding the start button on such an occasion though. Maybe the internal overload on your motor is only connected to the run winding of the motor and not the start winding allowing what you describe??

LINK > Frigidaire FDE436RES2 Dryer Motor

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

theflyerfly

Premium Member
Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears that it is connected to both.

Parts for Frigidaire FDE436RES2: Wiring Diagram

However, I noticed the internal motor start contact. could it be stuck closed, allowing the momentary startup?

After looking more carefully it does seem the motor is making noise especially when the drum belt is connected. I think that's a sure sign of bearing wear.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Timer possible??

I noticed the internal motor start contact. could it be stuck closed, allowing the momentary startup?
I was thinking that as well but such a failure is usually continuous from the start of operation not just after running a while. In fact, I've never heard of such a case occurring after being in use.

It could be just the motor run winding itself opening when heated, rather than tripping the motor overload and preventing all operation.

Additionally. I was just looking at wiring diagram for your model dryer. It might be possible a bad contact in the timer could stop the motor but not prevent the start switch from powering it while pressed. Effectively bypassing the timer motor contact when pressed.

It is also unusual such a timer failure would only happen after minutes of running although prob not impossible. I can't quite understand the timer contacts involved in powering the motor in the diagram though. Timer terminal "X" looks to close to terminal "TM" which makes it look like power to the main motor goes through the timer motor??

Of course, the timer contacts would have to be tested while the condition was actually present and compared with readings when in operational condition.

Dan O.
www.Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

theflyerfly

Premium Member
Just a follow-up.

After going round and round with Sears Parts Direct, I finally got the motor from a different supplier and that fixed the issue.

As for SPD, avoid them like the plague. But most of you probably already knew that. I had to find out the hard way.

Thanks for helping!