FEX831FS2 Frigidaire Stackable Not Agitating

Disp122

Premium Member
Model Number
FEX831FS2
Brand
Frigidaire
Center agitator won't move during wash cycle however spins freely by hand. Belt appears to be moving the transmission because tub will spin during spin cycle.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
When the motor turns one direction the brake is locked and only the transmission shaft is moving. when it turns the other direction the brake is released and the transmission and inner tub will turn. make sure the agitator splines are not stripped inside the agitator by removing the agitator and seeing if the shaft is turning. If it's not moving take the stud out of the drive splines and the drive hub comes off the transmission shaft. if it's still not moving the transmission is bad.

Agitator Assembly 3204401

Transmission 134735700

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree with Rick.

Sounds like you may have bad drive block, if the transmission shaft is moving, but the drive block is not moving with it like Rick mentioned, seen that happen many times on my service calls.

Here's the drive block for your model you can order, if needed:
Drive Block 134418700

You will see the bolt that holds your agitator in, just remove it and the agitator will pull up, then you can see if the drive block is stripped on the transmission shaft.

Watch this video:

[video=youtube_share;eJ0TEJ0394s]https://youtu.be/eJ0TEJ0394s[/video]

Jake

Houptee

Premium Member
I have same machine and the bottom of it was submerged in 15" of water in Hurricane Sandy.
I washed it off and put machine in the corner of garage did not have time to mess with it.
I ordered a used motor and pump off ebay and just installed them 8/30/2019 after this machine sat since 2013
The spin works but not agitating in wash.
I can only spin the tub in one direction by hand the other direction is locked wont budge and when it tries to go into wash the motor strains so I pulled plug quickly.
I assume the transmission got water inside of it and its probably rusted.
I thought it would be ok since it looks to be sealed unit but obviously its not waterproof.
So my question is can the trans be opened up and possibly cleaned and lubricated or is it non servicable unit?
Is there gear oil inside or just grease?
Are the gears etc metal or nylon?
Its a shame to junk it the machine is in really great condition other than froze trans.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Best transmission to work on! Use HD Gear oil then use 100% silicone to seal the cover. If you take it apart don't lose the ball bearing under the trans shaft. The spin gear and neutral pack are made of some kind of hd nylon.
WP Direct Drive Transmission  Part Numbers.jpg

Houptee

Premium Member
Update I fixed it.
I watched the motor in Spin cycle it turns <<<<Left
In Wash cycle it turns >>>>>Right
It was stuck would not turn Right.
I then noticed there is a Inner shaft that turn inside the Outer shaft at the bottom by the big belt pulley.
I gently tapped the big pulley (its made of nylon not metal be careful) with a long piece of wood and a big plastic sand filled mallet.
The pulley turned and broke free. The inner shaft was just stuck from sitting so long and being submerged in the hurricane but it broke free very easy.
Ran two wash cycles so far and its working perfectly no leaks of any oil from trans and no water leaks around the tub seal.
So basically I just had to replace the motor and drain pump and capacitor for the motor and I lubed the idler pulley bearing and its pivot bracket.