• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FFBD2408NS5B Frigidaire Dishwasher keeps tripping circuit breaker

Jskold

Model Number
FFBD2408NS5B
Brand
Frigidaire
I have a Frigidaire dishwasher, model FFBD2408NS5B, that keeps tripping the circuit breaker. I originally had this problem a couple months ago and assumed it was the heating element. I stopped using the heated dry cycle and the problem went away. Then a couple days ago the problem reoccurred. Someone in my house turned on the heated dry and hi temp wash. I assumed it was the heating element again and turned the heated dry and hi temp wash off but the circuit breaker keeps tripping. The only thing I have done differently is last week I turned up my hot water heater because we had family coming into town. I went ahead and turned it back down thinking maybe the water is to hot coming in and causing the hi-limit thermostat to trip the circuit breaker. Still didn't solve the problem. I ran a few tests yesterday and am not sure where to go.

Thermostat had .1 ohms
Heating element 15 ohms

Ran a normal cycle and the dishwasher tripped the circuit breaker at 13 minutes. When I looked at the cycle options, from the attached data sheet, the heater kicks on around 13 minutes. I did some reading yesterday and my understanding is that a good heating element can have ohms anywhere from 10 to 50 ohms. I did completely remove the element from the dishwasher and check ohms from one side to the other. I did the same thing on the thermostat. I am leaning toward the turbidity sensor or thermistor but I am trying to see if I'm on the correct path.

Attachments

• FFBD2408NS5B.pdf
    736.9 KB · Views: 14

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like the heating element is shorting to ground, you'd need a multimeter. Do you have a multimeter? If so do you know how to use it?

I'd first check your heating element to see if that's grounding out when it comes on at the 13 minute mark.

Make sure the breaker is off to the dishwasher first before ohm testing!

When checking for a grounded element put one meter lead on one element terminal and the other meter lead on the dishwasher frame, if your meter moves or changes numbers its grounded.

Here's the heating element for your model, in case you need to order it:
Heating Element 154825001

If the heating element is not grounded out, then its possibly a short in your wiring is grounding and causing the breaker to trip, check every inch of your wiring in the dishwasher for a short, broken, or frayed wire.

Jake