• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FFHS2611LBB Frigidaire ONLY makes ice for short time until costly new filter is put in

tcklme

Model Number
FFHS2611LBB
Brand
Frigidaire
Our side by side Frigidaire freezer will only make ice for a short time without replacing ongoing new costly filters. The longest we've gone with use of a filter is six months, and as little as six weeks. We have even bought the 'dummy' filter in hopes of eliminating the cost of filters, but still no ice production. Once the maker has stopped making ice, it will begin ice production ONLY when a brand new filter is plugged in. I'm about to pull my hair out.
When ice production stops, the water dispenser stops too. The filters are not freezing up - they can be shook and hear liquids inside. I've even let a filter sit in the sink overnight, plugged it back in, but ice never starts up.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
tcklme said:
.....will only make ice for a short time without replacing ongoing new costly filters....... it will begin ice production ONLY when a brand new filter is plugged in.
I'm not exactly sure what you're missing yet, but you're missing something. The machine control board, ice maker, and dispenser have no way of knowing if the filter was replaced or not, let alone if it was new or used. If the filters were failing and blocking water flow, the dummy filter would have corrected it. I'm not sure what kind of "dummy" filter you have. I assume it's just an empty filter with nothing in it. Since the problem occurs with a filter or without a filter it sounds like the filter is not the problem. Most likely the filter head is what is causing your problem.

tcklme said:
When ice production stops, the water dispenser stops too.
Makes sense. Your water supply works like this: The water valve has three solenoids, yellow (dispenser), green (ice maker) and brown (isolation). Whenever the ice maker or the dispenser is calling for water two coils need to be energized, the brown isolation coil and green or yellow coil, whichever is calling for water. Let's say the ice maker is calling for water, the brown and green coils are energized at the same time. The brown isolation coil opens and water flows from the water valve through the water filter, through the water reservoir and back to the water valve where it flows out into the water line under the green solenoid to the ice maker or into the water line under the yellow solenoid if the dispenser was calling for water.
SXS water system cassett up front.jpg

Because it's so intermittent, 6 months to 6 weeks, it sounds like water is occasionally freezing in the filter or filter head. If the filter is not that important to you, instead of using a "dummy" filter go to one of the home centers and pick up a john guest 5/16" coupler. Remove the filter and the filter housing and filter head. Remove the two water lines from the filter head and trim the ends with a razor blade then couple the two lines with the coupler.

John Guest coupler:
coupler.jpg

Here's the filter head:
Water Filter Housing 242009601
Water-Filter-Housing-242009601--01194082.jpg