• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FFHS2611PFCA Frigidaire Refrigerator - bottom of the freezer builds up with one big chunk of ice

mitzigolf2004

Premium Member
Model Number
FFHS2611PFCA
Brand
Frigidaire
For a while now the bottom of our freezer builds up with one big chunk of ice. I had to take the drawer out permanently. Every other day I have to break it up with a small hammer and dispose of ice. We went shopping for a new refrigerator and then I thought...you know what?...this thing is only 5 years old. So I set out to fix it myself with the help of youtube. I redirected drain hose and then thawed out ice in drain hole. It's draining fine now. Next I will put copper wire down drain hole from coils. So here's the problem. I left the inside back panel off for a few hours when I checked it...there was frost covering the coils. It was NOT frozen. Are you able to tell me what happened or what I should do?
Oh...I have a frigidaire side by side bought in 2015. This is actually the second one...they had to replace the first one after the first.4 months.
Thank you in advance.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
mitzigolf2004 said:
I left the inside back panel off for a few hours when I checked it.

The refrigerator will not function properly like that. All panels must be installed for proper air flow.

mitzigolf2004 said:
there was frost covering the coils. It was NOT frozen.

That is what is suppose to happen. Nothing should ever be "frozen" except water in an icemaker or ice cube tray or food. And don't count on food being frozen without the refrigerator fully assembled.

Dan O.