• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FFHT1814LW1 Fridge-Freezer warm, compressor and fan aren't running

Spiniker

Premium Member
Model Number
FFHT1814LW1
Brand
Frigidaire
Hello,

I have a Fridigaire Top-mount fridge-freezer combo (model FFHT1814LW1, 2011) that started warming up yesterday evening. The onset seemed to be sudden and I don't believe the temperature was falling gradually over the preceeding week. I sat by it for 45 minutes and neither the compressor nor fan could be heard; the lights still function normally. There wasn't (nor has there ever been) any frost buildup in the freezer compartment. This morning, both compartments were nearly room temperature and the machine was making no sounds aside from a very faint and rapid (more than 1 per second) ticking that was only audible when the fridge door was open and appeared to be originating near the light/temperature control. I have not yet taken anything apart. The bit of research I’ve done suggests that the symptoms indicate a problem with the cold control or defrost timer. I’d greatly appreciate feedback from someone more knowledgeable.

Thank you very much.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

The defrost timer could have failed (ticking noises ) and may also have been stuck in defrost ( fans and compressor will not run ).

Slowly turn the screw like wheel in the middle of the defrost timer with a straight screwdriver to see if the refrigerator will come back on ( timer is still bad even if the fans and compressor come back on ).

defrosttimerturn.JPG

Your timer should be in the control housing on the ceiling of the fresh food section.

Defrost-Timer-215846604--01857657.jpg Defrost timer

jeff.

Spiniker

Premium Member
Thank you very much for the reply Jeff. Could the cold control or start relay switch result in a ticking sound (of a frequency >1/sec) from that origin?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Could the cold control or start relay switch result in a ticking sound

Nope.
Cold/temp control could open up ( no continuity ) and stop the refrigerator from running...but neither of those will make a ticking noise.

Temperature-Control-Thermostat-241537103-00694597.jpg Temperature control

Hopefully you don't have two issues.

jeff.