FFHT1821QW4 won't get cold

Praireboy

Premium Member
Model Number
FFHT1821QW4
Brand
Frigidaire
The fridge won’t get cold, when I first plug it in the evaporator fan will come on, then shut off, then the condenser fan and compressor will start and shut off after a minute or two. I have replaced the capacitor and I can hear a rattle when I shake the starter relay which is suppose to mean it is faulty. Any trouble shooting tips would be appreciated.

Thanks Cam

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Praireboy

Premium Member
No response when I tested the top two contacts (3-23 ohms), guess that means the relay is no good.

How does a nonfunctional capacitor/relay effect the function of the evaporator fan.

rickgburton

Staff member
No capacitor just relay. The control senses the compressor is not running so it stops output voltage to the evaporator fan motor at CN1-9

Praireboy

Premium Member
I replaced the relay and capacitor with a 3 in 1 universal starter kit with no change.
Evaporator fan briefly turns on, shuts off
Condenser fan/ compressor runs for a 1 min, then turns off.

Replacing the relay didn’t correct the problem, what’s next.

rickgburton

Staff member
Praireboy said:
I replaced the relay and capacitor with a 3 in 1 universal starter kit
Bad move. The 3-IN-1 uses a start capacitor and start capacitors kill PC boards and those small compressors. Disconnect it and connect a DMM to the two wires supplying voltage to the compressor. Is the voltage 120 VAC constant or is pulsing. You may need to replace the board. Check the compressor windings:
R -Compressor Windings Test NEW.jpg

Praireboy

Premium Member
Everything was in the parameters you specified and the voltage was constant. There is mixed opinions on the 3 in 1, however the same symptoms appear with the 3 in 1 starter as with the previous relay, so I’ll keep it for now. So no change with the 3 in 1 starter, what do I check next.

indymoon

Premium Member
I may have the same problem - both fridge and freezer won't get cold for a different model Frigidaire FLSC23F6DS1. It was working intermittently for a few days but now may have quit. A friend blamed the defrost heater and replaced it first, which worked for a short time.

indymoon

Premium Member
The fan in the freezer is definitely running. This morning ice was melting in the freezer but this afternoon there's frost on the freezer back wall and the coils are covered in ice. So i assume the compressor must be functioning as well.

rickgburton

Staff member
Is the evaporator cover installed? If not it won't cool properly. If it is installed there shouldn't be any frost on it.

rickgburton

Staff member
Leave the machine plugged in and running. Remove the cover and check the frost pattern . Is there a very thin coat of frost on all the coils, no ice and no snow? Take a few pics and post them here.

indymoon

Premium Member
It looks more like snow as I had to push some away to see the thermostat. It’s not hard, solid ice.

rickgburton

Staff member
Perfect! That looks like a defrost problem so the defrost thermostat didn't fix it. Make sure the defrost thermostat is good by checking it for continuity. Check the defrost heater for continuity. If it checks good replace the board.