• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FFMV1645TS Frigidaire Microwave - Doing the 3-seconds then stop thing, also now a touchpad issue

dh166

Model Number
FFMV1645TS
Brand
Frigidaire
So, we had a storm the other night including some power surges. Outages were no more than a few seconds, and no breakers in the panel tripped. However, next day the microwave would start with light and fan but no magnetron (as far as I could hear) and then shut itself off after precisely three seconds. I googled and was directed to door switches, which I checked for continuity. All three were good, as was the fuse. I disconnected the unit to make these checks.

This evening, I read a post that suggested the processor could be 'confused' after the outage and to try a re-start. That being a simpler fix to try than anything else, I plugged it back in. The panel came up blinking 12:00. I hit the 30 sec cook button and nothing happened.

Thinking I might have to set the clock before it would begin operations, I pressed the clock setting button and then began pressing numbers for the time. It accepted the first number but nothing after that was responsive, not numbers or settings buttons.

Prior to unplugging the unit and checking switches, all of the panel functions worked. Any thoughts on what the initial problem might have been, what's causing the new problem, and what I might have screwed up while I had the panel off?