• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FFMV164LSA How to remove Frigidaire over the range microwave

woodardhsd

Premium Member
Model Number
FFMV164LSA
Brand
Frigidaire
I have a Frigidaire microwave that was installed in our new construction home when we bought it four years ago. It recently stopped working and I'm trying to remove it to take it to a repair shop to be checked out. I've read the installation manual forwards and backwards, but cannot figure out how to remove the thing. I've loosened up the two screws that support the microwave from above, but it refuses to budge. It appears that the bottom of the bracket, and those two screws are all that holds it up.

Frigidaire support was no help. I have removed the grill, the bottom plate, and the control panel keypad looking for some sort of screw or release tab to disconnect it from the bracket. I've had no luck so far.

Anyone have any ideas?

woodardhsd

Premium Member
I've done that already. Unless I'm missing something, the only things that should be holding the unit up are the screws that go from the top of the unit to the cabinet, and the bottom of the wall bracket. I've completely removed the two screws at front of the unit and it won't budge. I've also looked at the parts diagrams in searspartsdirect for anything that looks like a release lever or screw.

I'm wondering now if the people who installed it jammed it up in the opening shortly after the cabinets had been painted and it glued itself the the cabinets. I tried to run a sheet of paper between the microwave and the cabinet to see make sure it wasn't attached somewhere else and found a spot where it was stuck to the cabinet by a little spot of paint. I need to run something completely around the perimeter of the unit to make sure it's not stuck anywhere else.

woodardhsd

Premium Member
I'm wondering now if the people who installed it jammed it up in the opening shortly after the cabinets had been painted and it glued itself the the cabinets. I tried to run a sheet of paper between the microwave and the cabinet to see make sure it wasn't attached somewhere else and found a spot where it was stuck to the cabinet by a little spot of paint. I need to run something completely around the perimeter of the unit to make sure it's not stuck anywhere else.
Unfortunately, I was correct. I took a thin hacksaw blade and ran it up between the cabinet and microwave. There were quite a few places where it was touching. I carefully started "sawing" with the blade until it wasn't touching the cabinets anymore. After all that, it finally started to drop free when I loosened the screws.

I guess I should mention the problems that started all this. I had just got done heating something in the microwave, had removed it, and closed the door. The unit started humming by itself, no light on, no fan, nothing lit up on the display. Then, if I pressed the start button, it would come on as normal. As soon as i pressed stop, the carousel would stop, light would go off, no display on keypad, and it would go back to humming. When I opened the door, it stopped. It was definitely cooking while this was going on, cause it heated up a cup of water while it was happening.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Glad to see you are getting somewhere with it :)

The unit started humming by itself, no light on, no fan, nothing lit up on the display. Then, if I pressed the start button, it would come on as normal. As soon as i pressed stop, the carousel would stop, light would go off, no display on keypad, and it would go back to humming. When I opened the door, it stopped. It was definitely cooking while this was going on, cause it heated up a cup of water while it was happening.
Sounds like a wiring, door switch and/or board issue :(

jeff.

woodardhsd

Premium Member
Sounds like a wiring, door switch and/or board issue :(

jeff.
That's what I was afraid of. I decided that I would check the three switches myself, I figured if they checked out fine, I would be better off just scrapping it and getting a new one rather than paying someone $75 to tell me it needs a new $150 board. I pulled the switches out and they all checked out. I was ready to just go buy a new one, but once I got this one back together, it started working fine again. Until yesterday afternoon, it has worked fine.

After I figured out how to remove it, it started acting up again, with the same symptoms as before. I did notice this time that I could lift up on the bottom of the door and it would stop acting up. Not sure why that would be.

jeff1

Staff member
I did notice this time that I could lift up on the bottom of the door and it would stop acting up. Not sure why that would be.
Door, door switch mechanism is worn/out of place and not mating correctly. Can try loosening the screws holding the switch brackets in place and close the door...retighten the screws and retest.

jeff.

woodardhsd

Premium Member
The microwave is still having issues, but it can be fixed temporarily by disconnecting the wiring from the control panel, and unplugging the three door switches. I tried testing the switches again a couple weeks ago (they all passed) and swapped the two similar switches to see if a different problem started. As soon as I re-connect everything, the unit worked for 3 weeks. Last weekend, it acted up again, same symptoms. Tonight I disconnected the control panel and all three switches again. After 15 minutes, I put everything back together and the it's working fine again.

jeff1

Staff member
Something loosening/shifting with the switch holder is possible.....intermittant issues are the worst!!

jeff.

TracyD

Remove the large mostly decorative vent at the top by unscrewing the three tiny screws inside the vent. Remove vent panel.

There are two larger Philips screws, noticeably larger than the others used. One on each side of the top front. Remove the two screws.

Now try tipping the microwave top toward you, and it'll come out.