FFPA0822U1 Frigidaire Portable A/C gives off so much water, is this normal?

Sandi149

Premium Member
Model Number
FFPA0822U1
Brand
Frigidaire
Hi,

I just purchased a Frigidaire 8000 BTU portable A/C unit. It cools the small bedroom very well but gives off so much water. There is a drain hose which I have leading into a large bucket. After a whole night of having the unit operating, the water collected about 3/4 to the top of the bucket. Is this normal as that seems like a lot of water.

Thanks,
Sandi

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That sounds normal. The amount of water depends on how much humidity there is. I'm from NJ so I know you have a lot of high humidity days there. There are a few portable AC units that use a condensation exhaust system to expel water vapor collected during the dehumidifying/cooling process but that's not one of them.

Sandi149

Premium Member
Thank you for your reply. I live in NYC and it has been very humid the past few days. Is there a way to put the controls on a setting which doesn't give off so much water?

rickgburton

Staff member
Not on that machine. As long as the compressor is running and it's humid you're going to have water. The higher the humidity the more water it will have.

Sandi149

Premium Member
Thanks! And this morning there is barely any water in the bucket, maybe a half an inch to an inch.

rickgburton

Staff member
rickgburton said:
The higher the humidity the more water it will have.
Sandi149 said:
.....this morning there is barely any water in the bucket,
So needless to say, if it's been running for a while it's removed most of the humidity so the less humidity, the less the water it will have.