FFRE12L3S1 Frigidaire Window A/C Turns off and on, not responding to button presses

CodinSorian

Premium Member
Model Number
FFRE12L3S1
Brand
Frigidaire
Hello, got a window unit that after a storm is acting flaky, plus the house breaker for that leg of the house had to be reset. The AC will work fine for a random period of time, then turn itself off. It will turn itself back on sometimes or stay off. Unplugging it and waiting a bit then plugging it back in will sometimes fix it for a while. During all this, sometimes pressing buttons works, most of the time not. While its working, I can take it off ECO but it eventually will still turn itself off. When its powering itself off and on, it beeps and resets any "settings" such as temperature, fan speed, etc.

Thanks for any guidance!
- Dan

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The AC will work fine for a random period of time, then turn itself off. It will turn itself back on sometimes or stay off.
That's how it should work on an Energy Saver mode. The fan has to come on periodically to test the air temperature to determine if cooling is needed or not.

When its powering itself off and on, it beeps and resets any "settings" such as temperature, fan speed, etc.
That might be caused by a defective electronic control. Those are often susceptible to and affected by power surges. :(

The part list doesn't show many of the components for that model. If you want to try to trace a replacement electronic control someone might have to look on the part and get any/all numbering to try to trace them.

JMO

Dan O.

CodinSorian

Premium Member
Yeah, energy save is noticeably different "off and on". When its powering off/on the entire panel goes off and it beeps. What I am seeing is definitely not just ECO mode doing its job.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
What I am seeing is definitely not just ECO mode doing its job.
The main control was likely affected by the power fluctuations IMO. :(

If you want help tracing a replacement, post all the numbers printed on the original board.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The unit's wiring diagram shows another circuit board besides that display PCB. I would think the other board (the main control board) might be more likely to be responsible. It will usually be responsible for powering the display board and doing the actual switching of power to the a/c's components.

image.jpeg

JMO

Last edited:

CodinSorian

Premium Member
Ok, I'll have to disassemble it out of the window. I'll work on that tomorrow morning while its cooler. Thanks for all the info!

CodinSorian

Premium Member
Curiously, I had removed the display panel and left it hanging off the side, exposed and the AC unit has not had an issue for the last 3 days. Going to keep an eye on it for now without taking it apart.