• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FFRE12L3S1 Frigidaire Window AC keeps turning on and off

lennonjon

Premium Member
Model Number
FFRE12L3S1
Brand
Frigidaire
I have a 2-3 year old 12,000 BTU Frigidaire window air conditioner that has developed a problem this season. When I turn it on, it runs fine and cools down to the programmed temperature. After this, whenever it turns on, it will blow cold air for about 10 seconds, and then turn off. Sometimes it does this several times in a short period of time. Sometimes it may be a longer period of time between behaving in this manner. At no point after the initial cooling period does it stay on again for more than 10 or so seconds.

Any suggestions on what might be going on here? I don't think it still has a warranty or I would have contacted Frigidaire.

Salud,
Jon

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jon,

It sounds like possibly the temperature control thermostat has gone bad, unfortunately I can't locate it on any website, not even Frigidaire's website.

Jake

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
By the wiring diagram it look to be electronically controlled.

lennonjon said:
it will blow cold air for about 10 seconds, and then turn off.

What turns off? The compressor, the fan, both??

What does the display indicate when this occurs?

Dan O.

lennonjon

Premium Member
By the wiring diagram it look to be electronically controlled.

What turns off? The compressor, the fan, both??

What does the display indicate when this occurs?

Dan O.
Hi Dan,

Both turn off. The display just shows the set temperature.

I'm leaning toward it being a thermostat issue. After reading up on that it seems to be short cycling. I've cleaned the filter, and it blows really cold with no apparent sign of a coolant leak.

Salud,
Jon

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
There is no "thermostat". As I said, according to its wiring diagram it is electronically controlled.

image.jpeg

In such a system there are usually 3 components that might be involved. There is a temperature sensor (aka thermister), the display PCB and the main PCB with the switching relays on it along with the logic chip.

I doubt a defect in one of the sensors would cause the control to totally reset. The display board might but it usually just functions as a switch to set the mode of the main PCB control board.

Have you tried disconnecting power for a minute to two? Sometimes that can reset a malfunctioning electronic control.

The next problem is that the parts list for your model shows very few component part numbers. If you need a part you might have to contact Frigidaire directly to see if they can look up the number of any necessary parts.

If Frigidaire says the parts are not available, look at the part and get any numbers printed on the suspect components and we'll try to trace them to the OEM manufacturer. (That unit was manufactured by a 3rd party for Frigidaire.)

Dan O.

akadean2

Jon,

What you're describing sounds like what mine (same model) does in Economy mode. Is it possible you've never used that mode previously? If it's keeping the room cooled to the set temperature, then I'd say you don't actually have a problem.

It seemed strange to me that ours would only come on for a few seconds and then turn off again. It doesn't seem like that would be long enough to do any effective cooling. However, the room does stay comfortably cool. That said, this is NOT how it performs on very hot days. With the 90+ temperatures we've had recently, it does run continuously during the day and at a high fan speed. It only returns to what you described at night after the outside temp has cooled considerably. Since you asked your question in early June, I wouldn't be surprised if you've since seen that it does run continuously on the very hot days.

Hope it's working fine for you now.

Dean