• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED FFSS2314QS9A Frigidaire Ice Maker Knocking Sound

brettrogers52

Model Number
FFSS2314QS9A
Brand
Frigidaire
The ice maker goes through a cycle when it is trying to dump made/frozen ice. There is a ridiculously loud knocking sound when this happens. I've had the ice maker replaced twice and the sound is always there but realistic, however, after about 1-2 months it becomes ridiculously loud. There is a clear and obvious elevation of noise.

I think that it is when the warm water runs through to unfreeze the ice to the mold and dump it. My only thought at this point is to try and insulate the bottom of the ice maker somehow so that it warms quicker and dumps more effectively.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks,

Brett Rogers

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Brett,

So your still within the 1 year warranty? Have the tech/techs heard this same noise? If so they said it was not normal? Have any of the tech. called the Frigidaire Techline from your house? To see if there is a kit to fix this noise issue?

Here's the ice maker for your model:
241798224 Icemaker W/cover

Jake

kuriath

Constant knocking sound from ice maker - Fixed

My frigidaire Galaxy (model FGHB2866PF) started having a constant knocking sound - not loud, just a low tapping sound every 1-2 seconds. Noise stops when door is opened.

Here is how I fixed it:
I pulled the ice tray out and noticed ice frosted in the back. I pressed the door switch manually (the one on the top that gets pressed when door closes) and looked inside using a flash light. I saw a small fan stuck inside..(see the attached picture for the location, though fan is not really visible ). The fan attempts to start, but the plastic blade hit something which cause the knocking sound .. and then fan stops. It repeated this constantly. Using a screw driver, I chipped away some of the ice carefully (making sure delicate parts are not damaged). Then fan started turning. Still it was rubbing against ice and made a grinding noise. Then I used a hair drier to blow hot air for a minute or so, and that melted the frost and fan started turning freely. Now there is no noise.

Instead of using screw driver to break the ice (which may cause damage), I could have just used hot air.

Attachments

• IMAG0226.jpg
    IMAG0226.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 8,145
Last edited:

NWAGUY

Frigidaire Gallery icemaker popping sound solution after cleaning

Thanks Kuriath you're solution is appreciated. I have a Frigidaire Gallery French door model.
After cleaning the refrigerator and freezer the icemaker stopped
working. There was a faint popping sound every few seconds.
The fan blade was frozen with condensation. Open the door and remove the icemaker tray. Saw that the fan
Blade was stuck, which caused the pop. Used a hairdryer to defrost
The fan. After a minute the fan blade was defrosted and the icemaker
Is now working again.

My frigidaire Galaxy (model FGHB2866PF) started having a constant knocking sound - not loud, just a low tapping sound every 1-2 seconds. Noise stops when door is opened.

Here is how I fixed it:
I pulled the ice tray out and noticed ice frosted in the back. I pressed the door switch manually (the one on the top that gets pressed when door closes) and looked inside using a flash light. I saw a small fan stuck inside..(see the attached picture for the location, though fan is not really visible ). The fan attempts to start, but the plastic blade hit something which cause the knocking sound .. and then fan stops. It repeated this constantly. Using a screw driver, I chipped away some of the ice carefully (making sure delicate parts are not damaged). Then fan started turning. Still it was rubbing against ice and made a grinding noise. Then I used a hair drier to blow hot air for a minute or so, and that melted the frost and fan started turning freely. Now there is no noise.

Instead of using screw driver to break the ice (which may cause damage), I could have just used hot air.

OasisInCT

Confirming that this solution indeed does work. I have the FG french door model, and could see the fan blade attempting to move as noted -- interesting that even though the fan blade trying to move looks like it's in the back through the opening as noted, the knocking sound was coming from the front side of the unit when the door was closed. Anyway, fashioned a long cardboard tube to channel the hot air closer towards the opening, and in less than 1 minute the problem was solved and the knocking stopped. Appreciate the knowledge, gents.

John Semah

Premium Member
Constant knocking sound from ice maker - Fixed

Here is how I fixed it:

Thank you Oasis, this tip saved me a repair call. My Frigidaire is a FFHB2750TD

Eeikfaer

The Fan In back of the ice maker gets stuck on ice .. preventing fan from spinning ..open fridge door pull tray use flashlight to see fan that’s stuck .. defrost and melt ice and fan will spin freely when fridge door is shut ... this idea is from this blog and is the perfect solution

John Semah

Premium Member
The hairdryer trick does work, but since I thanked kuriath for that tidbit of information I have had to do that process 6 or 7 times. You know when one pays nearly $3k for a box, it is a shame it has to be tended to like that.