FFT4945-02H Montgomery wards upright freezer

dave17a

Premium Member
Model Number
FFT4945
Brand
Montgomery Ward
This has been a tough one. Thinking I need a new seal. Not icing around it, but top shelf iced over good a while back and quit freezing. Thawed out and started freezing again. Three weeks now. It did start frosting next day. Doesn't have that vacuum now when shut door. Cannot find seal anywhere. Repair shop couldn't find it. he didn't know who he thought made it either. Any help would be appreciated. Only paid 40 bucks for it last summer. Thanks, Dave

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Observations

top shelf iced over good a while back and quit freezing. Thawed out and started freezing again. Three weeks now. It did start frosting next day.
On a manual defrost upright freezer the shelves (2-3) that are part of the refrigeration system should "frost" not "ice". It is an important distinction.

Do all the shelves frost the same or similar amount or just the top shelf?

I'll try to look up the gasket in the archives when I get a chance.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Gasket available

Model Number: FFT-4945-02H
I found a listing for model FFT-4945-02A Wards upright freezer. The gasket for it looks to still be available:

LINK > FFT-4945-02A Door Gasket

But the bigger question is about the frosting of the shelves (plural). Please clarify all of their condition.

Dan O.

dave17a

Premium Member
On a manual defrost upright freezer the shelves (2-3) that are part of the refrigeration system should "frost" not "ice". It is an important distinction.

Do all the shelves frost the same or similar amount or just the top shelf?
Just top shelf. Thank You, Dave

dave17a

Premium Member
Looked at that part#. Seen that before,but heighth is 65 7/16 on mine with hardly any wiggle room. Width is good. Could I shorten them without compromise?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Look at the 'heat exchanger' on the rear of the appliance

Looked at that part#. Seen that before, but height is 65 7/16 on mine with hardly any wiggle room.
You should take the site's measurements with a grain of salt. It's a lot harder to get an accurate measurement of a gasket when it's just sitting on a workbench being measured than measuring one already mounted taught on a door. That supplier also has a very good return policy so in the event it didn't fit, they'd accept a return. It is the factory suggested replacement going by the original part #.

Just top shelf, and it did have ice.
That is a more serious problem and not caused by a bad door seal. Refrigerant isn't getting to the shelves to maintain proper cooling. The refrigerant is only getting to that point!

After it's been running for a while look at the tubing going up the rear of the cabinet from the compressor to where it goes through the cabinet. That is the "heat exchanger". Look for signs of frost or ice on it, outside the cabinet. That is the only other thing that could cause your description besides a refrigerant system problem.

JMO

Dan O.