• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FFU17F5HWU Frigidaire freezer has a hole at the back

Sajeev

Premium Member
Model Number
FFU17F5HWU
Brand
Frigidaire
I have vertical freezer from Frigidaire. Last week, I noticed that the freezer was working non-stop and not cutting out, even though the internal temperature was being maintained at level 4. The electricity bill was also high. I checked the door seal, cleanliness of the coils at the back but no problems noted. When i pushed the freezer away from the wall, I was stunned to see that there was a hole about 1 inch diameter in the back metal plate. At the center of the hole was white material which was cold and wet. Surrounding the hole, the meal was rusted for about a circle of 7 centimeters diameter. A local tech scraped of the rust an put a layer of silicone sealant. No improvement- the sealed area is wet and dripping and the unit continues to work non-stop.

Attachments

• PXL_20220430_193122944.jpg
    PXL_20220430_193122944.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 31

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, this has been a issue for Frigidaire, but I believe this is the first I've seen it happen on a upright freezer only.

Here's our main thread on this issue:

Its usually caused by the low side suction line condensation. Frigidaire had a design flaw with that making that rust through.

I couldn't locate a kit to fix yours, hopefully another tech might have that information for you to fix it.

Jake