FFUS2613LE6 Help with Frigidaire side by side - ice cream was getting a little soft

Fll1225

Premium Member
Model Number
FFUS2613LE6
Brand
Frigidaire
Hey guys so I have a few questions. The other day I opened up my freezer and I noticed that Some of the ice cream was getting a little soft. It's a frigidaire FFUS2613LE6. The temperature in the refrigerator was OK but in the freezer it was about 18 Degrees fahrenheit. I opened up the panel where the evaporator coil is located in the freezer. There was a fairly big ball of ice right where the cap tube meets the top of the evaporator coil. And the 1st 2 rows of Coil were iced up.

I shut the refrigerator off and I defrosted that ice. I also took the defrost thermostat and put it in my freezer downstairs for about 15 minutes. I checked continuity across it and the switch was closed. I also was trying to put the system into manual defrost by pressing the fresh food light switch 5 times in less than 6 seconds which is what I read on the tech sheet. I tried a bunch of times 1 time I got it to go in to defrost and I know that the defrost heater was working because it got really hot.

But then I couldn't get it to come out of defrost by hitting the button again 5 times so I had to shut the refrigerator down. I musta tried another 30 times get it to go in to defrost by hitting the light switch and I can not get it to go back in to defrost. I would hit the light switch I would check down by the thermostat for a 120 V I had nothing and the compressor and evaporator fan continued to run.

The refrigerator the whole time has been in normal temperature and the freezer has been fluctuating between 15 and 25゚. I'm starting to think that it's not much of a defrost issue because it's really only the top that's frosted up it's not really restricting airflow a ton. The system has never been worked on and it's only about 7 years old. Any advice I would really appreciate it. Thank you

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Fll1225 said:
There was a fairly big ball of ice right where the cap tube meets the top of the evaporator coil. And the 1st 2 rows of Coil were iced up.
That sounds like a sealed refrigeration problem rather than a defrost issue.

Fll1225

Premium Member
Yeah I totally agree with you. I really appreciate those pictures. I'm fairly confident that the compressor is running flat out because it's maintaining that frost on the coil, And the refrigerator section is fine I guess it's producing enough cooling to take care of the refrigerator but not enough to cool the freezer? it's just crazy because you know I've had refrigerators for 20 years 25 years no issues like this I've only had this thing about 6-7 years and it's been nothing but problems.

I wanted to go through the motions of checking the defrost stuff just to be a 100% sure but at this point I don't know if I'm gonna try and work on it or just by .buy a new one. I do Hvac work so I have all the tools to work on it. Just don't know if it's worth it. Thanks

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Fll1225 said:
it's just crazy because you know I've had refrigerators for 20 years 25 years no issues like this I've only had this thing about 6-7 years and it's been nothing but problems.
Did you clean this one's condenser regularly? If the compressor was forced to work harder than necessary, its lifespan would definitely be shortened. Modern day compressors are very susceptible to overheating and you don't want to overwork them.

Even now, if the condenser is dirty cleaning it might help somewhat?

Dan O.