FIXED FGF337AWE Igniter or Valve?

HammerAndTongs

Premium Member
Model Number
FGF337AWE
Brand
Frigidaire
I replaced the igniter (oven) some years ago, probably with a universal igniter. I can't swear to having tested that the oven lit when I made the repair. I'd hope I did, but it's possible I didn't. In any case, the igniter glows, but the flame never comes.

I found one similar thread, but that fellow tried an igniter for a furnace (didn't work). So, do I really need to get a PS470129 igniter that says Frigidaire (or Electrolux) on the wrapper, or will a Robert Shaw universal PS470129 igniter draw the same current?

What is the likelihood that the valve is bad, not the igniter?

Is there any voltage or current I can measure that would help pinpoint the problem?

Incidentally, the resistance of the temperature sensor measured out of spec (or is the meter off?), but from the schematic, it doesn't look like that would have anything to do with the problem. Right?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Frigdaire OEM Bake Ignitor

do I really need to get a PS470129 igniter that says Frigidaire (or Electrolux) on the wrapper, or will a Robert Shaw universal PS470129 igniter draw the same current?
Both of those are the exact same number and neither is a Frigidaire/Electrolux part number. Those are a store's internal SKU number.

You can see the genuine Frigidaire/Electrolux ignitor at this link:

LINK > Frigidaire FGF337AWE Bake Ignitor

the resistance of the temperature sensor measured out of spec. it doesn't look like that would have anything to do with the problem. Right?
Right.

Is there any voltage or current I can measure that would help pinpoint the problem?
Yes. You can read about how common gas oven ignition systems work and the observations and tests necessary to start diagnosing problems with them at the following link:

LINK > Understanding Gas Oven Ignition Systems

Dan O.

Last edited:

HammerAndTongs

Premium Member
Don't know why I thought I had previously replaced that igniter. Anyway, it was the original part in there, and the new igniter has fixed the problem.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
HammerAndTongs; said:
Don't know why I thought I had previously replaced that igniter.
It really doesn't matter what was done at some time in the past. All that matters is what is happening currently, while the problem is occurring. There's no reason a replacement part couldn't fair at any given time. Every possibility has to be evaluated each time.

the new igniter has fixed the problem.
Glad to hear it. Thanks for the followup.

Dan O.