• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED FGHB2844LF5 Changed water filter and now no water

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleB

Premium Member
Model Number
FGHB2844LF5
Brand
Frigidaire
Frigidaire model FGHB2844LF5. It has the icemaker in the fresh food compartment instead of the freezer.

I had an issue where the water dispenser was slow to start dispensing, and then was slow to stop by a few seconds. The ice maker was working fine. I replaced the water filter since that was suggested in the owners manual. Now I have zero water flowing to the dispenser or the ice maker. I am getting voltage to both the main and dispenser solenoids, and can hear them clicking. By disconnecting the hose couplings, here is what I can deduce thus far:
**Water inlet pressure is good.
**Water flows fine thru the water filter.
**I can blow thru the yellow water dispenser and the green ice maker hoses when disconnected from the water solenoids.
The return hose from the water filter is clear and goes back into the rear of the unit about 32 inches off the , then back down to the solenoids. With the clear hose disconnected from the output of the water filter and the input of the solenoid assembly, I cannot blow thru it. So it must be clogged, right? Also, there is a blue hose that runs from the solenoids into that same area 32 inches. What is that water line used for?
Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.
Kyle

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
KyleB said:
With the clear hose disconnected from the output of the water filter and the input of the solenoid assembly, I cannot blow thru it. So it must be clogged, right
Not necessarily, especially if there is water in the filter. I've seen many problems with the filter head in the housing. That's what it sounds like. The extra waterline is for the freezer ice maker. Some models have both ice makers installed. Even if you don't have a freezer ice maker it's probably equipped for it.
242009601 Water Filter Base
frigidaire-base-water-filter-242009601-ap4433106_03_m.jpg

KyleB

Premium Member
Thanks for the speedy reply Rick.
There is a compression fitting/splicing on the clear line coming from the water filter. If I disconnect that and press the water dispense lever, water flows out. I think that means that the filter and filter housing are okay. Its from that point that my problem lies. The clear line then goes into the fridge and then out again to the solenoid valve assembly. I'm thinking this must go to some sort of small inside water tank for cooling the dispensed water. I think this is clogged somehow. I'm thinking about blowing it out with compressed air. Would that hurt anything?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I don't think it will hurt anything. Is anything freezing in the fresh food section? The water reservoir might be frozen or have ice in it.
Frigidaire Electrolux French Door.jpg

KyleB

Premium Member
I don't think it will hurt anything. Is anything freezing in the fresh food section? The water reservoir might be frozen or have ice in it.
View attachment 31271

Bingo. That was exactly it.
I disassembled the unit and found the coil of clear hose inside the back lower left corner of the fresh compartment. That was frozen like a block of ice. I defrosted it with a hairdryer and am now able to blow thru the clear hose. I assembled it and now everything is working fine.
Happy wife, happy life...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Happy wife, happy life...
We say it a little different here: If momma ain't happy, no one's happy!

Rick will be glad to hear that you FIXED it.:)

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.