• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED FGHB2844LF5 Rust on back of Frigidaire Refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjrobinson68

Premium Member
Model Number
FGHB2844LF5
Brand
Frigidaire
Hello,

Per the image attached, my Frigidaire Gallery French Door refrigerator has a large rust area on the back with rusty water stains down the back and onto the floor. It is not a water leak, it appears to be condensation forming on a cold spot on the back and which is creating the rust. After cleaning with a wire brush, there are holes in the metal back panel.

I am not having issues with the unit except for this concern, any ideas on what I can do to stop the mess it is creating and if I should be concerned with the unit failing in the near future?

Thanks for your replies...

Attachments

• frigidaire-refrigerators_35732.jpg
    frigidaire-refrigerators_35732.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 16,591

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Can't see inside the walls....but either void of insulation in that area ( my guess ) or possible one of the refrigeration lines carrying the cold refrigerant gas from the freezer down to the compressor was installed too close to the back outside wall.

Send the picture to Frigidaire/Electrolux and see what they have to say.

any ideas on what I can do to stop the mess it is creating

Rust paint, spray foam insulation.

and if I should be concerned with the unit failing in the near future?

Unknown if this will ever effect the operations.

jeff.

gjrobinson68

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff,

I was thinking the same thing interms of a repair or at least minimizing the issue going forward. I have also send Frigidaire some pictures, waiting on their reply...

Thanks
Greg

lhs10587

Rust on back of Frigidaire Refrigerator - Any Updates or replies?

Thanks Jeff,

I was thinking the same thing interms of a repair or at least minimizing the issue going forward. I have also send Frigidaire some pictures, waiting on their reply...

Thanks
Greg

I just found out I have the same issue...the photo looks almost the same as mine. Did you receive a reply regarding the issue or did you get it repaired?

Thank you

jcqcomm

Premium Member
Hi,

I just joined this great forum today, and will offer a possibility as my EW28BS71IS did the same, but with more dramatic consequential damage to nearby cabinets and walls.

The waterline had formed a CRACK, about an inch long and would spray water every time the water dispenser in the door war engaged. It was upstream from the valve, so would not leak when you just look at it, or if the water were not hooked up.

The noise of the water dispensing up front masked the noise of the water spraying in the back.

Hope this helps,

John

GE JIM

Appliance Tech
I saw 2 of these last week...They were 5-6 years old. The freon line is to close to the back wall and it forms ice and condensation and rust..I know of no repair. If anyone finds the answer let us know..

Draymc48

Premium Member
Insulation pad

I've seen this issue quite a number of times. I do warranty work for Frigidaire and they send us a kit that consists of a sheet of armacell insulation, clear caulk, and a flex tray gasket kit. There's instructions included in this kit but basically put insulation on the rear panel, deice drain line for ice maker and replace gasketing. We do them quite often and is cover outside of manufacturers warranty. Have to have an approved vendor call and they'll ship the parts and pay for the labor.

tedfam

Premium Member
I have the same problem and just contacted Customer Service. I was told they know of no problems of this sort. I see a post towards the end of this thread and will refer them to the kit they send out. See post by Draymc48 Draymc48

Lucy

tedfam

Premium Member
Thank you, this is extremely helpful; I will contact customer service (again) as they told me they are unaware of this problem!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi all,

What's the part number for that kit?

Jake

KingTito

Premium Member
My Frigidaire FPHC2399KF2 professional has this rust spot on the back. 6 year old unit. I had Warners Stellian Appliance repair out. They called Frigidaire and Frigidaire said that the "heat exchanger needs to be run outside of the cabinet, replace compressor, filter-dryer, and evaporator. Warners Stellian said I should call Frigidaire for concessions. I called. 1 hour later, 2 supervisors later. I asked several times if they have ever heard of this problem. They said no. I said "Google it" and images come up. Finally, I mentioned what a previous poster said about armacell insulation and he said oh, what you need is the "Sweat Kit". I asked why that wasn't offered. He said I never mentioned it was sweating. I said I told you several times that on the back, there's a small cold spot where moisture forms. It's rusting there and dripping. The rest of the back is clean and dry. What the heck....

Will this "Sweat kit" work and is it the right thing?
IMG_1606.JPG

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sweat Kit? What is the part number he gave you?

Jake

KingTito

Premium Member
I figured you'd ask! I asked him and he said once the Warner's Stellian Technician called the Frigidaire Tech Support Line and mentioned the symptoms of "sweating" leading to rust, the Frigidaire Tech Support line would tell the Warner's Stellian Technician that the Sweat Kit will be shipped and a parts and labor concession number would be provided so this would be done at no cost to the customer (me). He said he didn't have the part number. He seemed deceptive the whole time - never heard of this problem, it's out of warranty. When I mentioned armacell insulation, his tone changed. Very frustrating as a consumer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, when you get it, it will have the part number on it, please post it here.:)

Jake

Rondog

Premium Member
Parts for Insulation Kit

Ok, when you get it, it will have the part number on it, please post it here.:)

Jake

My Electrolux French Door has the same problem. Service tech ordered kit from Electrolux.

The box it came in is called a Rear Panel Kit: Part # 5303918657. Inside the box is a large 2" thick insulation pad that will cover the complete back of the refrigerator.

The box also contained a Flex tray Gasket W/deflector kit Part number 5303918784. Although I don't understand why it is in the kit as you don't remove the ice maker at all. The insulation pad goes on the backside of the refrigerator not inside. It also contained a tube of RTV Sealant. Hope this helps the next guy.

jeff1

Staff member
Wonder if there are different kits for SxS, bottom freezer, top freezer?

I see it has some instructions and pictures.

jeff.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Ron for posting those part numbers I've been requesting.:)

Jake

Rondog

Premium Member
WOW!! I just looked up the panel repair kit from different suppliers. It ranges anywhere from $780 to $1025.00 depending where you buy. This is just a piece of 2" thick rubber insulation that is approx. 3' x 5'. The flex tray kit that comes with it runs about $30.00. I would have thought the whole thing would have been around $50-$75.00. Who's rippen who off here! Glad I didn't have to pay for it! Jeff, the pictures you are seeing is for the flex tray kit only. No pictures or instructions came with the insulation. The insulation has a paper back that you peel off on the back, then stick it on the back of the fridge, is my guess. Will have to wait until the tech shows up and see what he does.

jeff1

Staff member
WOW!! I just looked up the panel repair kit from different suppliers. It ranges anywhere from $780 to $1025.00 depending where you buy.

They do that so only an authorized repair depot would get one.....no DIYer or ABC repair company would order one at that price.

jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.